Thursday, February 01, 2007

Needs vs. Wants

Needs vs. Wants

I have a routine when I open up the paper on Sunday morning. I try to get it all organized for Susan (she's more of a paper reader than I am. I prefer magazines since they have more substance). One thing I do is throw away all the colored ads -- Office Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc. All but one -- the Target ad. My Susie loves to see what's on sale at Target. So I make that one concession and toss out the rest of those alluring inserts. Why? Because I don't want those advertisers tell me what I "need." It's hard enough battling the temptation within me to buy more stuff without having outside forces whistling at me and saying in essence, "Come over here. You NEED this."

Early this morning when I couldn't sleep, I read more of Richard Swenson's Margin. Here are more of his insightful words in how to find more financial margin in our lives:

Discipline Desires and Redefine Needs. The list of what we call "needs" today is certainly much longer than the list was in 1900, which in turn was much longer than the list at the time of Christ. If the list expands each year, is this an expansion God approves of?...Our true needs are few and basic: we need God, love, relationships with fellow human beings, meaningful work, food, clothing, and shelter. Most of the rest of what we call needs are instead desires...

In this process, we are greatly aided if we tune out advertisements, which are nothing more than artificial "need creation."


"Tune out advertisements." I love that line. I'm happy with my two-year-old Sanyo phone. Do I really need a Razor or Blackberry? The T.V. ads say, "You've got to have it." But I hear my Lord calling me to contentment. The cell phone I now have is a luxury itself. Why must I upgrade it now? Or my computer? Or our 10-year-old van?

The words of 1 Timothy 6 have always given me such a wonderful, God-centered perspective on needs vs. wants. I love how The Message translates vss. 7-8:

"A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that's enough."

Reminds me of the man with little money who sat in front of his piece of bread and bowl of soup and said, "All this, and Jesus, too?"

Jim


5 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Chrissy and I have decided not to buy anything new (except food and toiletries) for the rest of 2007, and maybe longer. We were tipped off to this idea by a story about a group of friends in California who did this and were amazed at the freedom it afforded. If they truly need something, they get it used or free -- otherwise, they go without. Interestingly enough, Christian faith does not appear to play a part in their decision to do this, though I find it inspiring nonetheless. (here is a link to the story) Oh, and this group only committed to this "compact" (their word for what they are doing) for 2006, but they have decided to extend it to 2007 because of how impactful it was.

What if more Christians began making these kinds of radical commitments to living simply and rejecting consumerism?

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Just wanted to let you know I second Susan's comment!!

Always appreciate and take to heart what you write, Jim. Don't stop!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great idea, Steve. And isn't it true that we really get a charge out of buying something new? Not that it's inherently bad to buy something new, but I need to be careful to not purchase a new item because of the "shopper's high" I get from it.

(Although I must admit that Susan and I found a great sale a Dillard's yesterday -- 70 % off clothes) and so I (gulp) bought some new clothes. I just won't wear them around you. : )

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger gram said...

Jim
I loved your writings today
As we are trying to help Clark get started out in a new town and job-Gary says he will learn what he needs and just wants--I want to make it easy and buy what he wants to make him happy for the moment and that is wrong and yet it has made me look at my own spending and stop
paula

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Paula. It's a constant battle, isn't it.

So thankful to the Lord for Clark's new job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home