Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Overcoming Discouragement

At the end of an especially busy and stressful week at work, a friend of mine handed me a one page article titled, "12 Ways to Overcome Discouragement."

Saturday morning during a long quiet time I spent several minutes pondering this counsel in how to combat discouragement. Here are a few that I especially liked:

1. Know yourself.

What is it that replenishes you? To be with people? To go into solitude? Whatever it is that nourishes and replenishes your soul, take time to do so regularly. (For me, it's long periods of time alone -- reading and praying. This is one reason why I like to camp out at Starbucks periodically -- no e-mail, no phones, no interruptions!)

2. Reach Out for the Help of Others


My ego-drivennness keeps me from asking for help often enough. I must practice healthy delegation. And I need a spiritual guide with whom I can be gut level honest. This proverb really grabbed me the other day:

Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many counselors bring success."
-- Prov. 15:22.


As I heard John Maxwell once said, "Reach out and ASK someone."

3. Write Down Your Expectations


What do you expect for yourself, your children, your spouse, your church, etc. Then consider: Are these expectations realistic? Which are under my control? What are the highest in priority?


As someone once said, "For peace of mind, please resign as master of the universe."*

* Adapted from Renee S. Sanford, Tough Times

I think it's also important to recognized the source of discouragement. One of my favorite professors in a Bible school I attended 25 years ago once said, "The devil has all sorts of tools in his tool box. But his favorite one is discouragement."

I pray that if you are presently experiencing any sort of discouragement, you'll take the time to be replenished by the Lord, let your cup be refilled, and get realistic about your expectations.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. -- Romans 15:13

Jim

1 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Neva said...

I have often thought it would be a good thing to do a word study of sorts on discouragement. I wonder what it would yield? Good post today.
I have my grandchildren so I have been too busy to be discouraged.
:)

Peace
Neva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home