Wednesday, October 18, 2006

An Evening with the Chief

I get lots of hugs from people each day -- from my wife, my children when they come by the house, volunteers at work, and my church family. But rarely do I get a hug like I did last night. This man gave me a big bear hug, laughed with joy as he held me and then lifted me in the air. I felt like I was being loved on by Jesus. In fact I was -- Jesus in the heart of this delightful brother in Christ from Africa.

Mitzi Adams, who went with her husband, David, to northern Zambia last summer, invited Chief Mumemba to speak with us last night at Highland. He is one of the most powerful chiefs in Africa -- and is a very strong believer in Jesus Christ. The Chief told us the story of how the Lord called him to "chiefdom" -- at a time where he was building a successful career in telecommunications, starting a family and enjoying the amenities of the good life. However, when his grandfather died, the elders of the area where he ruled insisted that Brother Mumemba take the throne. He resisted for quite a while. But when the elders from his church told him how much influence for Jesus Christ he could have as a chief, he finally relented. He, his wife and children left the comforts of running water, indoor plumbing and good schools to go into this village and be lights for Jesus. And the way God has worked through him is amazing.

The Chief kept telling us, "The Lord is so faithful." And then he told story after story of the ways the Lord worked. Every chief before him wore charms in an attempt to keep the evil spirits away. Not so with Chief Mumemba. He told his elders that the Lord Jesus was his protection. They were amazed that in the first few days of his rule he didn't die.

At the coronation of a chief, there is a traditonal drunk fest. This time, though, the Lord made a way for all the alcohol to be driven out of this area.

Diviners have enormous power in many places in Africa. When someone dies, the people would often call in these witch doctors to find out who was responsible for this death. And someone was usually found guilty and either driven from the village or killed. Chief Mumemba boldly stood against this evil and told these diviners to leave his area. They eventually did.

Then he welcomed groups like the ministers of mercy from the Hillcrest Church of Christ who brought medical help, school supplies for the children and training for the teachers. And they preached the good news of Jesus. The new life of Jesus is spreading among the people under the Chief's rule. God is so faithful.

As I was reading in Jeremiah this morning, this verse reminded me of what I heard last night:

"I am the LORD, the God of all the peoples of the world. Is anything too hard for me?" -- Jer. 32:26

The Chief's story reminded us all that truly nothing is too hard for our Lord Jesus. He's more powerful than witchdoctors, political leaders, and entrenched traditions. When Jesus comes to town in the lives of men like Chief Mumemba, He brings His life and power to the community. And people there will never be the same.

And when He comes to town through you and me, He can do the same through us. Let's allow the light of Jesus to shine through us today. And show the world that the One who reigns over all the world is the Lord Jesus. I pray that those who see Christ in us will see His reign in our hearts -- and join us in bowing down in worship to our King.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home