Thursday, October 12, 2006

Learning from Correction


I hate to admit when I’m wrong. It goes against my pride. It offends my perfectionism. I fight against it when I’m challenged about a decision. And yet I need to be challenged when I sin, make judgment errors or get off track in my thinking or behavior.

Last summer our family took a vacation out to California, which we do each year. We follow a familiar routine. Fly into LA International. Rent a car from Thrifty Rental. Head up the traffic-choked San Diego Freeway, catch the Ventura Freeway and crawl our way up to my hometown of Ventura. And for several years we often have the same disagreement/at times fight. Susan and the kids get hungry and want to stop somewhere for lunch. By contrast, I want to get to the beach as fast as we can – telling them we can eat later.

This time we had Aaron’s girlfriend and Shannon’s best friend with us. And they all got hungry and wanted to stop at "In and Out Burger" – a California favorite of theirs. Finally we found one – about 25 minutes from our destination. I thought it was crazy that we stop. But Susan insisted. So we got off the intersection, pulled into the parking lot and I dropped off everyone. Then I attempted the nearly impossible task of finding a parking space in a lot crammed full of cars. They went in for their burgers, oblivious to how mad I was. I finally found a place to park and sat in the car for several minutes in protest. Sometimes my family calls me a Stubborn Mule (one of their "terms of endearment" when I have those "moments." It was definitely one of those moments that day.


I eventually went into the restaurant and found my family and their friends leisurely sitting at an outside table in the beautiful California sun. Susan saw me coming, jumped up from her seat and came right up to me and flat out told me I was wrong. She rarely does that. But this time she did -- and she was absolutely right. I eventually calmed down, joined them for a burger, and the remainder of our trip went rather smoothly.

This morning when I read of Jeremiah's rebuke of the leaders in Judah, some "Stubborn Mules" resisted his words and despised him for the message of rebuke he gave them. They even had him whipped and put in stocks. We hate to admit we're wrong.

I find this counsel in Proverbs to be so appropriate as I think of each of these stories:

“whoever learns from correction is wise.” – Prov. 15:5

Though we may not like it, receiving correction from others is, well, wise.

And I’m wondering if we would be more likely to admit when we’re wrong and be willing to change if a rebuke or admonition came from someone we know that deeply loves us.

Think about that -- an admonition from our Lord for His children comes out of His love. In the midst of His anger over the sinfulness of His people, Israel, His heart must have also been broken. Because He loved His people. And still does.

And He deeply loves all of us who are in covenant with Him in Christ. So I want to keep listening to Him, receiving His admonishment and always be ready to alter my course in the direction of Jesus.

And yes, I need to keep paying attention to my wife's suggestions/corrections...and even an occasional rebuke. It surely does help you enjoy a meal and vacation much more!

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home