Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Queen

Before I jump into work this morning, I must quickly say that Susan and I saw "The Queen" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Superb acting, especially by Helen Mirren, who is probably a lock-in to win the Oscar. Fascinating look at the monarchy of England and the tension between the queen and the newly elected Prime Minister Tony Blair. I had forgotten that this was such a huge event in England -- the way the queen was so silent for many days after Lady Di's tragic death, while "the commoners" grieved publicly for her.

Although it dealt with a very serious subject, there were some humorous moments -- at least to Susan and me. The properness of the British royalty made us both giggle, partly because Susan has witnessed dinners at my family's home in California. My mother has lots of British in her, being raised in Canada. And it certainly came out in our formal dinners during the holidays -- plum pudding, paper Christmas hats, the works.

I woke up early this morning still thinking about that film -- especially the contrast between the Queen and how distant she was from her people and Diana, who was so deeply loved by the British -- and much of the world. Made me think of Jesus. He is King of Kings. Almighty God. Alpha and Omega. And yet while on earth He was approachable..and the common people who knew how desperate they were for healing and a touch from the Master flocked to Him.

And because of His shed blood for us, to all those who put their faith in Jesus, He is still approachable. His majesty, a friend of sinners and "commoners" like you and me.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home