Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Disengaging

A field near Jarrell, Texas, south of Salado


Since last Friday, our internet server has not worked our office. Finally yesterday afternoon our tech support figured out that our router was bad. I felt so cut off from the world in not having the means to send or receive e-mail, and not being able to send my blog post. In fact, yesterday I had to go to all the trouble of actually calling a board member on the phone, rather than sending her an e-mail. Could you imagine that! Such inconveniences! : ) There are some advantages, however, of being disengaged from technology. Every weekend I take a break from blogs and e-mail. This practice gives me more time to talk with Susan and to read more extensively.

Over Memorial Day weekend we were blessed to go to Salado, Texas for three days and a couple nights at a B & B. Saturday morning, even when we were just a few miles out of town, heading south on Highway 84, we felt such relief in disengaging from our work. Susan had a particularly tough semester, including the death of her colleague of 17 years. And I always could use a break from the people-intense work that I have. I love my work, but do need to get away from it periodically.
I thought of how valuable it is to disengage from our routine. It's so refreshing for a marriage. And it has a way of clearing our minds and getting us to think through some issues of work and family. Spending time at a Starbucks Sunday afternoon in Georgetown was especially helpful. I spent a long time re-reading a chapter from Ruth Haley Barton's excellent Sacred Rhythms. Susan is reading it these days and told me that this particular chapter would speak to my soul. She was so right. I felt God speaking to me through her Barton's words as she guides the reader through a meditation on Psalm 139. You may think, "I can't afford to get away for a weekend. We don't have the money. Our kids are too young. My job needs me." But I would say that for your mental, spritual and relational health you cannot afford NOT getting away from your daily routine at times. Even if it's an afternoon at a park. Several hours at the library. Or an evening at Starbucks with a good friend. Jesus got away regularly to have times with His Father. He took His disciples away periodically from the crowds to spend time alone with them. I've found that if there is going to be any depth in my soul, any deep listening to the Father, I have to occasionally disengage from the crowds (and technology) in order to let Jesus speak into my life. To slow down and allow Him to remind me of His love, His will and that He is in control...and not me. Jim

3 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Tam said...

So glad you all got to have a weekend away. Amen to all needing it, especially couples with young children

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Also, Jim, what a talented photographer you are

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Tami. I love to take pictures. The Lord gives us joy in being creative because, in my opinion, we're experiencing His creative nature when we do so.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home