Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Brought into the Light

God surprised me this week in the way he provided such a significant theological moment in, of all places, a Wal-Mart Supercenter. I had a few minutes to burn while waiting for a clerk to process a digital photo. And so I asked another Associate where the books were found. Not expecting anything near the selection of a Barnes and Noble, let alone the atmosphere, I still thought that I could find somethin useful to read while awaiting my pictures. What I read was like a mini-seminary course -- and better than some of the courses I paide for years ago.

When I found the book section, I glanced at the bestsellers and as I looked at the bottom of the shelf, there was a book that my wife had looked for earlier at another store. It was titled "Christ Our Lord," authored by the prolific writer of vampire bookes, Anne Rice. Last month I read a fascinating interview with Rice in Christianity Today (the cover story is about Narnia and contains a wonderful overview of the life of C.S. Lewis, by the way). Remarkabley, this best-selling author of many novels that were thoroughly researched and (as I assume) dismally dark, had been brought into the light. She returned to her childhood faith. Renouncing her 30 years plus years of atheism, Anne committed her life and this new book to Christ. And this change came about through pain-staking research (although I would mainly atribute her return to Christ as a move ofthe Spirit calling her home to the Father's embrace).

I skipped all the chapters and went right to the "Author's Note"a the end of the book. What was so fascinating to me her exploration of New Testament scholarshp. She read several brilliant writers who examined the life of Jesus. So many of them tried debunking the truth that He was the Son of God. As she read and analyzed liberal thinkers she increasingly realized the fallacy of their assumptions. What shocked her most was noting how these liberal New Testament scholars were so hostile towards Jesus Christ!

In those few minutes at Wal-Mart God touched my heart and mind once more with the truth of Jesus Christ -- and the absolute reliability of His word. I loved reading Anne's journey of researching Jesus Christ and coming to belive in the validity of His claims -- that He truly is the Son of God, crucified on that cross nad raised from the dead. Overlooking her return to faith in Jesus Christ shored up my trust in our Savior and in the reliability of God's word.

Isn't it interesting how the gospel can be grasped and embraced by a child-like mind, such as my friend, Wanda, from my church, who is mentally challenged and yet loves God so much and is a deeply prayerful woman? And yet the Lord also reaches brilliant minds like C.S. Lewis and Anne Rice -- that is, if they have "ears to hear". He really is an awesome God. Jesus is real. He is the Christ. He is supreme. And He really does love you and me. I know it in my heart...and in my mind. The Bible tells me so.

Jim

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I really enjoy your writings, Jim. It's a pleasure working for you!

Steve Holt
http://harvestboston.net

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Can't wait to read that book! I've heard about it and I rejoice with the angels that Anne Rice has returned to home.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I recently had a similar experience, though actually in Barnes and Noble and not Wally World. I greatly look forward to reading this book. Anne has always had the potential for being one of my favorite authors had it not been for her blatant disregard for all things holy.

I am inspired by her testimony and the miracle of Christ in her. I look forward to seeing the effects as her many loyal and adoring fans pick up her latest and find themselves wrapped in the mercy of Jesus.

Glad that I stumbled across your blog!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Amanda:

Great to hear from you in the land of the Northwest. Thanks for writing.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home