Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Vital Friends

The only time I ever buy a USA Today newspaper is when I'm about to get on a plane. Susan and I were flying back from an anniversary trip and found some great articles in Monday's issue. One that especially grabbed me was a review of a new book titled Vital Friends by Tom Rath. The title of the article is "People with pals at work more satisfied, productive." A few quotes:

* People who have a best friend at work are seven times more likely to be engaged in their job. They get more done in less time, they have fewer accidents, have more engaged customers and are more likely to innovate and share new ideas.

* Employee satisfaction jumps by almost 50 % when they have close friendships at work.

* People with at least three close friends at work were 96 % more likely to be extremely satisfied with their lives.

Of course, friends in general are so important for our overall well-being, as this author points out. He even has a website to help one develop better friendships. I haven't seen it but you might check it out: www. vitalfriends.com.

This book made me think of how God has made us for relationship. First, with Him and then with others. And I can't help but think of how followers of Christ grow so much more when they're involved with a few close Christian friends and a small group. That has definitely been the case in my life.

By the way, I don't mean for this blog to be a travelogue, but I must tell you that Susan and I LOVED Chicago. Went there last weekend for our 25th. Cleaner, less expensive and friendlier than New York City. At least four different times people came up to us on the streets (seeing us with confused looks as we studied the city map) and said, "Can I help you with directions?" Great restaurants, parks, and museums. Tremendous transportation system and even a free trolley. If you get a chance, go visit that city. But not during the winter!

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home