Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Life Well Lived

Yesterday afternoon I took a quick break from work and scanned the internet. Maybe because I was thinking about Byron Nelson's passing, I felt drawn to the obituary pages of my home town out in California. Didn't recognize any of the names, but one story I read there really stuck with me.

It was an obituary of a guy who spent most of his adult life traveling around the world. One of his hobbies was watching his favorite game show and he often knew the answers posed to the contestants. His memorial service is to be held at a person's house with some secular activities. Nothing was said about the Lord.

I never knew this man and certainly don’t want to judge him. But it made me so sad when I read his obituary in contrast to a tribute to Byron Nelson that I read today. One of his hobbies was woodworking. And Byron often shared his gift with others. His last project was when he made 12slivers of foowd, smooth and stained, which he gave to each of the American golfers on the Ryder Cup team. On one side it said, “Made by Byron Nelson.” On the other side was inscribed the first name of the player and the words of Psalm 18:29: “With your help, I can advance against a troop. With my God I can scale a wall.”

Many of the best golfers in the world are in England, preparing for another major tournament. A journalist asked several of them about their memory of Byron. Each one interviewed commented on this man’s kindness.

As I reflected on the contrasts of these two men's lives, it made me want to live my life with more intentionality. To let the Holy Spirit breathe His grace and love more through me. Like Byron did. And like every other follower of Jesus Christ does each day.

Lord Jesus, please help me leave a legacy of "a life well lived." That the world may know of the difference you make in a person's life -- on this earth, and for eternity.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home