Friday, September 29, 2006

Helping the Undeserving

I have a confession to make. At times I get weary of helping people in need. All this week people have been coming to the Service Center for help with utility bills. A foundation in Abilene released some money to agencies such as ours, knowing how people are struggling so much in paying their bills after a long, hot summer. We were given $2,500 – within about 10 days it was gone.

One person after another came to our window, holding a copy of their bill for electricity or water. Many people brought cancellation notices. One woman called me to say that her bill was over $500 – and since she’s disabled there is no way she could pay it. By the time it was her turn for us to help, our money ran out.

The phone rang and rang all week since those who called 211 were referred to us. It was a bit tiresome having so many people come for assistance. And at times I didn’t have the best attitude – wondering why these folks couldn’t make enough money to pay for their basic needs. I get weary at times in helping the poor. It’s an endless job.

Then I read from verses in Isaiah like I did this morning. And the Lord wakes me up by showing me His deep compassion for the poor. He calls His people, which includes us today who belong to Christ, to be champions for the poor and oppressed:

Feed the hungry and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as day. 11The Lord will guide you continually, watering your life when you are dry and keeping you healthy, too. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring (58:10-11)

Note the promise! The Lord commands us to take care of the needy – and then promises that He will take care of us! He'll give us the strength to continually help others.

In the next chapter, there is the most interesting verse about how the Lord took up for the oppressed:

The Lord looked and was displeased to find that there was no justice. He was amazed to see that no one intervened to help the oppressed. So he himself stepped in to save them with his mighty power and justice. (59:15b-16)

I believe that the Lord still does this for the poor, the hungry and the helpless. And He uses His people who want Him to work through them.

I get tired of helping those in need. And yet I know that my Lord never wearies in taking care of their needs – and taking care of mine. It’s so important to remind myself that I am needy. He takes care of my family and me every day. This job is a gift. My family is a gift. Every bite of food I eat and breath I take is because of God’s provision. And my salvation is totally dependent on God’s grace and what Christ did for me on the cross. I don’t deserve a thing – and yet I am so grateful to the Lord for all that He does for me.

A few years ago after Landon Saunders delivered a message at a church, a person walked up to him and asked about how to help the poor. This person said, “Landon, should we feed people if they’re not deserving of it?” Landon’s response was so insightful. He told the man, “God feeds 5 billion undeserving people every day. I’m sure that it's not going to hurt things if we feed one more.”

And so each day when the phone rings, another person comes in for food or additional family asks for clothing for their children, I want to treat them like Jesus would. He loves the poor and cares deeply for them. And I strongly believe that He is calling His church to allow Him to love the poor, the brokenhearted and helpless through us.

Lord, please keep reminding me that I am completely dependent upon you for everything. And please keep reminding me of Your deep compassion for the hurting, the broken and the lost. Would You please keep loving them through me. That Your Name be honored. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Ah, Jim,
I just want to hug you and tell you it's all going to be okay, because it is. With the humbleness of your heart , how could it NOT be okay!!

Just a reminder, dear brother, God told you guys you'd have to earn your keep by the sweat of your brow, so you fulfill His promise when you get tired. ;) [grin and wink]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home