Thursday, October 19, 2006

Living for Others

I normally don’t search for valuable lessons of life from Hollywood stars. However, after reading a quote from a popular actress last night, I cannot get out of my mind what she said – and what wisdom she shared.

Susan brought home a USA Today from her trip to Austin. And just before going to sleep last night I read a fascinating interview with Annette Bening. She plays a mentally ill woman in an upcoming film called “Running with Scissors.” Although I’d like to see her performance, which apparently is terrific, I’ll probably pass on this movie since it sounds pretty dark and graphic.

Besides being a great actress, Bening is famous for being married to Warren Beatty and mother of their four children. It’s pretty unusual to be a Hollywood star who has been married for 14 years and is raising several children. I admire her commitment to her family. She refuses to take a role that will interfere with her responsibilities as a mom and wife. One time Bening even insisted that the film she was asked to play in be produced in L.A., so she could stay close to home base. The article states. “Bening is a mother who happens to act, not an actress who happens to be a mother.

I loved this quote especially from this Mom/actress: “In Hollywood it’s easy to just think about yourself. Having a family forces me to be more thoughtful in terms of what I do, and how it’s going to affect everyone.”

That line caused me to reflect on the contrast I’ve experienced these past few days. From last Wednesday evening until Sunday afternoon, Susan and I were heavily involved in preparing for and then hosting several family members and friends who came to our home for Homecoming. It was a lot of work – but so much joy.

Monday and Tuesday nights were very quiet around the house. Everyone had gone home and Susan went to Austin for a conference. All I had to take care of was me, the dog and the cat. I had a lot of freedom to do what I wanted. But if I had that freedom all the time to just think about me and my needs, I’d miss out on the joy of serving others. Though last weekend was hectic, it was such a blessing to open our home to all those loved ones who stayed in our home and/or came for meals.

To take this to another level, when we lose our lives in Jesus, and then invest in the lives of others, we really will find what life is all about.

Thanks, Annette, for getting me to think of the value of not being self-focused. And thank You, Jesus, for calling us to deny ourselves, taking up our cross and following you – and helping us experience what true life and real joy is all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home