Friday, November 17, 2006

For the Renown of His Name

Don, one of our volunteers at the Service Center, told me a story of a woman who came to work at the store where he worked many years ago. She had his same last name, and had been married to a man (who was a scoundrel) with my friend's name. And it turned out that her first name was the same as Don's wife's name!

Don made it clear to his friends and fellow church members that he was not the same Don ________ as this disreputable man who had once been married to this co-worker. He didn't want his name defamed.

None of us wants the reputation of our name, or our family name, ruined. Our names are very precious to us. Don's story came to mind when I read yet another passage in Ezekiel this morning. The LORD tells His people, Israel, whom He exiled because of their sin:

"I was concerned for my holy name, which had been dishonored by my people throughout the world. I am bringing you back again but not because you deserve it. I am doing it to protect my holy name, which you dishonored while you were scattered among the nations. I will show how holy my great name is—the name you dishonored among the nations. And when I reveal my holiness through you before their very eyes, says the Sovereign LORD, then the nations will know that I am the LORD. - Ezek. 36:21, 22b-23, emphasis mine

We are one of many other ministries and agencies in Abilene that help the poor. However, I will always be committed to minister to others in the Name of Christ -- never being ashamed of that Name, doing all we do for the poor in honor of that Name.

As I was praying about this passage, this other verse came to mind:

whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -- Col. 3:17

I'm just wondering how differently I would live -- how I would talk and treat people, what I'd read and watch on T.V., what DVD I'd pick out at the store to rent -- if I was always concerned that the Name of Jesus be honored in my life.

And when I think of what Jesus did for us on that cross, how could I not live in a way that would cry out to the world the magnificence of His Name.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home