Tuesday, February 06, 2007

While We Wait

One of my sisters-in-law told me a hilarious story of when her kids were little. She left them home one morning while she ran a quick errand. Her kids took this as an opportunity to watch some T.V., an activity that Mom limited them in. She preferred that they read more.

As soon as Mom left the house, they turned on the T.V. and enjoyed a few minutes of entertainment. Then they heard the car pull into the garage. My niece and nephew, quickly turned off the T.V. , slammed the door on the entertainment center, jumped on the couch and each of them grabbed a book. When Mom came in, she could sense what happened and soon got a confession out of them that they had disobeyed her while she was out of their sight.

This story came to mind early this morning when I read the sobering words of Jesus in Matthew 24. He urges His disciples to be ready for His return.

Know this: A homeowner who knew exactly when a burglar was coming would stay alert and not permit the house to be broken into. You also must be ready all the time. For the Son of Man will come when least expected. (Matt. 24:43-44)

You know the story that follows. For the servant who is ready for His return, living as a faithful steward, there is a great reward. But for the evil servant who mistreats the other servants and lives for self, "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

As I reflected about how Jesus really is coming back soon, I wondered how differently I would live if I was deeply aware of this truth:

1. I would focus more on love. I'd want to forgive others more and not get so upset by the petty offenses of others. I'd want to extend grace more since I keep receiving it from Jesus.

2. I'd have a healthy perspective on stuff. It's not my car, our house, my clothes. It's all on loan from God. I know of people that when they realize they'll soon die they start giving things away. But what if we'd give stuff away now, when we're healthy?

3. I would handle money differently. Howard Dayton, the Christian finance guy, told a story on his radio show about a couple that got out of debt and ended up paying the college expenses of a foreign student. This student ended up becoming a Christian while in college, earned straight A's and will return to her country debt-free and with a powerful testimony to her family. If I realized that Jesus could come back any moment, wouldn't I more likely use the money He's entrusted to me to further His kingdom, rather than hoard it?

4. I'd be more bold and urgent in telling others the gospel. Too often I worry about offending people. I want to get over that hangup and care so much for the eternal destiny of others that I'd take the risk and share this Good News with everyone I meet -- even if they get mad at me.

One thing for sure, when Jesus suddenly appears in the skies, if our trust is in Him and we're living for His glory (as imperfect as we are in how we follow Him), we will rejoice that He has come to take us home.

While we wait for His return, how do you think you would live differently if this reality was in the forefront of your mind?

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home