Thursday, May 31, 2007

Back to the Basics


I love history. Which is one reason I love to travel and see museums and read historical plaques like the one above. Before leaving Salado Monday afternoon I took this picture outside the 1st Baptist Church which is right on the main drag. Susan and I had gone by there the evening before while on a walk. I was so fascinated by what I read on this plaque. (Please read it before you read my coments).

A few questions come to mind as I ponder this lesson from church history:

Can you imagine that revival down by the riverside mroe than 150 years ago? Must have been a scene like the baptism scene in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" The gospel was preached, people came to faith in Christ, and confessed Jesus at their baptisms.

What would it be like to have gone to Brazil for mission work back in the 1880's? No jets. No long furlough trips. No e-mail. What amazing sacrifices this couple made!

What if today churches shared one building even though we were part of other denominations?

Do you think the believers back then were bothered by the name "Salado Baptist Church of Christ?" Were they more unity minded back then, not having splintered yet into Baptist and Church of Christ camps? Why can't we have that same unity in diversity today?

Why is it that Christians so often are motivated to start colleges? (Note all the connections of this church with Mary Hardin-Baylor College.) Later that day Susan and I went on a walking tour of Baylor University, named after a judge/preacher who gave the first $100 to establish a college in Waco. Is there something about our redemption in Christ that causes us to want to learn and better ourselves and help young people get an education and be productive citizens?

I love history. And I think it's so interesting what lessons we can apply to today when we read a sign like this one outside 1st Baptist Church. And don't you hope that one day when someone reads a history of your life they'll be inspired to live a life of deep significance in Christ?

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home