Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Favor of the Lord

I love my One Year Bible (especially the one in the New Living Translation). Early each morning I go through my routine of pouring a cup of coffee and a glass of O.J., grabbing a bowl of cereal, and settling into my favorite chair so I can read and meditate on a portion of God's word for that day. Today I read one of my favorite stories (and maybe yours, too) - about Joseph and his captivity in Egypt.

As I read about how God raised him up in Potiphar's household and prospered him tremendously, I noticed this phrase which seems to be the theme of Joseph's life: "his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD gave him success in everything he did,(Gen. 39:3) Even when he suffers setbacks and trials, being thrown into prison for a false charge, Joseph still experiences God's favor: "But while Joseph was there in the prison, the LORD was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden." (Gen. 39:23)


I began to think of this phrase "the favor of the Lord." Susan and I have a close friend in Dallas named Sharon who uses that phrase a lot, having heard it in sermons and group discussions at her church. She has a deep sense that because of Christ in her life she experiences the favor of the Lord continually. When she spends the weekend with us and something good happens while she's here she'll say, "It's the favor of the Lord on us."

We may think that this favor means that we'll always get a parking space closest to the mall entrance. Or that a huge tax refund will come our way this April. I certainly want to give God credit for every good thing that happens in my life. And yet I think of how Joseph experienced God's favor even when treated unjustly, thrown in prison and later forgotten by the cup bearer whose dream he interpreted. The favor of the Lord doesnt' mean a "cushy" life -- but it does mean that we can experience the Lord's presence and His goodness in whatever we go through. Romans 8:28 confirms it.

As I look back on my life, I become more keenly aware of His favor...even during the tough times...perhaps especially during the tough times.

* How every time a bunch of us from our church went on a mission trip to Brazil, when we had to raise a lot of money, the Lord provided. He raised the funds and there was always money left over.

* How 3 years ago when I was out of work for nearly 6 months, God provided in amazing ways. And He taught us so much about His faithfulness.

* How in so many months in the early 90's, when Susan and I were struggling to make financial ends meet, His favor was upon us. He gave us everything we needed. And we saw His faithfulness and provision over and over.

I want to be more aware of the favor of the Lord. That because of His grace in my life, since I am in Christ, I am His treasured possession, as He called the Israelites. He loves me. He cares deeply for me and all I need to do is cast my cares on Him each day (1 Peter 5:7). As the song says that was playing on the way to work, "God is watching over me."

How have you seen the favor of the Lord in your life lately? Let's expect His favor each day...and give Him the praise no matter what experiences we're going through -- whether we're in the palace or the prison.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

When Bonnie Curtis, who works with Speilberg, was here for her Gutenburg award, I went up to her and told her I had a great idea for a movie...The Story of Joseph..
She said that was her Mom's favorite biblical character. I mean, all the elements for a great movie are there. I loved his strength his emotion his devotion to God and his ability to forgive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home