Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Deliverance from stuff-itis

That's an interesting word: "stuffitis." I don't think it's in the dictionary. But it certainly is a battle that goes on in each one of our hearts. The longing to have more things. Better things. Things that others own that we'd like to have.

I'm around lots of stuff each work day at the Christian Service Center. People from our community are constantly bringing clothes, sheets, old furniture, toys, etc. to donate to our ministry. God has blessed us with a wonderful team of volunteers who are continually organizing all these things so we can give them away to people in need who come through our doors Monday through Friday. I see what seems like tons of stuff come through here each day. And it's really given me a perspective on these words of Jesus:

"Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

When I see all the possessions that are given away to us after people clean out their closets or collect all the personal items left behind by a deceased loved one, I realize that we Americans have lots of stuff. And we all tend to accumulate things so quickly, don't we?

I'm not a pack rat, and yet still find myself needing to periodically purge my closet of unused clothes or books that need to be given away. This past weekend we moved our daughter out of her freshmen dorm. She had lived there only 9 months and yet it was amazing how many things she had accumulated. We made many trips up and down those stairs from her room to our van.

Isn't it sad how we fight over stuff (in a battle over an estate of a parent who dies), are tempted to steal stuff, go into debt with buying more stuff, and get jealous of others who own things we can't afford. And yet Jesus says that our lives do not consist of the abundance of our possessions.

One thing I've noticed these past few years is how accumulating more things or being able to finally buy that car or house or computer that I've always wanted does not satisfy my soul. There's always a bit of a letdown after finally owning something I longed to buy. And then I realize that no matter how nice or cool or expensive this stuff is that I finally got to own, it cannot fill the hole in my heart that only God can fill.

Lord, please deliver me from stuffitis. Instead of buying more things help me to give more money away to those in need. And to focus my attention on Your kingdom and Your righteousness, believing Your promise from Matthew 6 that You will provide all the "stuff" I need to exist on this earth. Only You can satisfy. May I spend my energy, time and money on pursuing You and knowing You and helping others know Your saving love. And please give me more of a holy distaste for the stuff of this world. In Jesus' sweet Name I pray, Amen.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Bring it on over, Lynette. We'll bless others who come here needing your and my stuff. And we'll love them in Jesus' Name.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home