Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Conquering Depression

I decided to take up "Monniecoco's" suggestion and re-read the excellent book, Conquering Depression. Actually, I've read it before just sporadically. And yet after this recent bout with depression, I'm going to try reading it all the way through.

It's subtitled "A 30 -DayPlan to Finding Happiness." Each chapter is quite short -- some written by the pastor/counselor, the other part of the chapter written by the medical doctor. They know about these dark moods from very personal experience - both having had to battle depression themselves.

At the end of each chapter they give these "Lifefilters." Here's one for the chapter I read last night, from page 5:

How to Develop a Battle Plan

Read this Scripture: "If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? -- Rom. 8:31b-32

Today


1. God loves me. And that's why I can win the battle against depression, because I've got God on my side. Remember: I'm not alone; God is with me.

2. Remember: God is greater than my depression.

3. Believe: God loves me, regardless of my emotional outlook!

As I lay in bed about to go to sleep, I meditated on that great promise from Romans. Then I reflected on these three statements. It was so encouraging to realize that almighty God, this God who loved (and loves!) me so much that He gave His only Son so that you and I could be saved, is GREATER THAN MY DEPRESSION! AND HE WANTS TO HELP ME!

I think I'll just stand on that truth all day today. Let's do that together and then see what the Lord does.

In His grip,

Jim

5 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Clint said...

and don't forget us (your beloved dysfunctional small group) we are there too.

Here are a couple of songs that give me hope.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Jim dear friend!

Is there a single person on this earth that hasn't had days of depression? If so, I don't know if I could stand in the presence of such a saint. LOL

When these bouts of situational depression hit me, I usually withdraw into a meditative cocoon until the LORD grabs me by the scruff of the neck, shakes me, puts a dear one on my heart and absolutely will not let me go until I make contact with that person.

It is so difficult for me to pull out of myself, but when I reach out to the one that needs me, I can feel the warmth of God's sunshine beginning to warm my heart.

That being said, I'm not referring to clinical depression. In that case I bow to the doctors, their God-given miracle prescriptions and professional assistance. And, there have been occasions in which doctor has asked me to take one of these drugs on a short term basis because of a trauma-induced depression.

You are in my prayers, Jim. Not only intercessionary, but also in thanksgiving for you and your gentle, determined heart for your LORD! He will strengthen you, preparing to be a 2 Corinthians 1:3-11 servant of His.

In the Light of His love, grace and mercy

Kathy

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I am glad you are looking to God and reaching out to your support system there in Abilene (and other places). Admitting that you cannot battle this alone or on your own strength is at least two steps forwards! I pray for God to lift you towards the light.

You and Susan were angels in my distress. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

What great, loving companions you all are on this journey. I love you all in the Lord.

Jim

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Jimbo - Yesterday I was at my "other church" doing a Bible study and came across this translation of Isaiah 61:3 "To console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, THE GARMENT OF PRAISE FOR THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS; that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified." (caps my own emphasis) May I suggest you change your clothes! Turn on some praise music and lose yourself in it. I see the Lord being glorified in your life Jim, you are a tree of righteousness. Stand tall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home