Friday, May 12, 2006

Learning to Lead

The name of the ACU summer camp that our children first went to was called, "Learning to Lead." That's something I'm doing throughout my lifetime -- learning to lead as Jesus leads me.

This morning I couldn't help but think of leadership and integrity after meditating on 1 Samuel 12:3-4:

"I stand here, an old, gray-haired man. I have served as your leader since I was a boy. Now tell me as I stand before the Lord and before his anointed one—whose ox or donkey have I stolen? Have I ever cheated any of you? Have I ever oppressed you? Have I ever taken a bribe? Tell me and I will make right whatever I have done wrong."
"No," they replied, "you have never cheated or oppressed us in any way, and you have never taken even a single bribe."


As I ran errands yesterday afternoon, working with printers and paper companies as I prepared for our newsletter mailing, I used our ministry's debit card. It's so handy. And it's fun spending someone else's money! However, it's also a great responsibility. This is the Lord's money I'm managing (as is our personal money). Many people have given sacrificially to this ministry and I'm charged with being a steward over these funds.

Lord, please help me spend it wisely. When I get the age of Samuel, I want to be able to stand before others, and eventually before You, and declare that I have not robbed others of money. That I have been a good steward of Your funds.

Then I think of a leader and his management of time. My hours are a bit more flexible than many others. At times I travel for this ministry. Or go off site to study, pray and write. There's always the temptation to steal time from my employer -- to do some personal things while
"on the clock." Now I realize that occasionally personal things come up -- e-mails or phone calls to my wife, helping our kids in their college issues, or making a pastoral phone call as an elder. Yet I don't want to abuse this privilege of being entrusted to manage my "own" time.


Father, forgive me when I've been a time stealer and please help me to stay focused on my work while at work.

When you think about it, we're leaders in many ways -- as a parent, a teacher, a leaders in our small group. May we lead in the power of the Holy Spirit, following Jesus as our Leader, continually growing as a leader and always being mindful that others are watching. I pray that they will see in us integrity. That they will see Jesus.

Still learning to lead,

Jim



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home