Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Forever Friends in Christ

For awhile this morning, after reading about David and Jonathan's friendship, I couldn't see how this story applied to us today. As I prayed about it, the Lord seemed to bring this thought to mind -- the profound difference He makes in a friendship!

My memory unfolded several names of Christian friends with whom I felt a special bond -- a bond that surpassed friendships I had years ago in the world. Some of them I didn't know very long. And yet there was this close connection because of our relationship with Jesus.

I think of Fred Rey and Robin Grenville, two roommates in Ventura, California when I was a new believer. We would stay up late reading portions of C.S. Lewis books and discussing heaven.

The days at Harding in the early '80's came to mind -- when I was starting my training as a minister. One friend in particular was John Lloyd. He and I had a special kinship as the Lord awakened us both to the power of the gospel and the beauty of being free in Christ.

Then there was Memphis. At Harding Graduate School, God blessed me with Dave Hogan -- a fellow grad student who grew up on the mission field of Singapore. We actually had fun together learning to translating passages of Romans from Greek to English. He taught me so much about experiencing the joy of the Lord.

Then I go back to our three mission trips to Brazil. The times in the Christians' homes were extra special. Though there was a language barrier, there was that bond again. The bond that can only be created by the Holy Spirit.

And then I think of my bride of nearly 25 years. God has blessed Susan and me with a deep soul friendship. Although we've had our typical marital spats over the years, we've always really liked each other! It's a connection that only Jesus can bring.

Who has been a "Jonathan" in your life?

Jim

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Julia said...

Since I was 9 years old - really, ever since I can remember, Heather Chance has been my Jonathan! I have known many people who have never had a Jonathan, and I have been blessed with many, but this friendship in particular has stood the test of time for over 20 years. The Lord has used her in my life over that time to stretch me, challenge me, support me and encourage me time and time again. We both know friendships like ours are unique and only found when the Lord is head of both lives. She is one of my most valued treasures in life! And, because of her, I get to know your sweet family too :). What a blessing she is in so many ways.

Julia

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Deb said...

I didn't know you knew Dave Hogan! I had such a crush on him when we lived in Kandahar, and he and his family lived in Lahore, Pakistan. His older sister Beth was someone I adored, too. Dave eventually married one of my best friends from ACU.

Small world!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home