Friday, April 28, 2006

Movie Night

I especially enjoy hearing 98.1 on Friday mornings while driving to work. Each Friday at about 7:42 A.M. Mike Parker gives his "family friendly" movie reviews. He reviewed three of them this morning -- and gave them all high ratings: "RV" stars zany Robin Williams as a family man taking a road trip across the country. When he isn't crude, Williams is one of the funnest and funniest actor to watch on the screen. My favorite role of his was the genie in "Aladdin."

The second film was of the young African girl in the spelling bee. Lawrence Fishburne is in it. Can't recall the name of the film. But he said it's very good and a family film.

Finally, he rated "United 93." An excellent movie, Parker said, but it really shook him up. I have ambivalent feelings about going to see it. Not sure if I want to have to watch all that violence (I admit it -- I'm squeamish about violent films). Parker felt he was watching the real thing, not just a dramatization.

Tonight Susan and I will probably opt for the early, cheap showing of "The Sentinel, " starring Keifer Sutherland. We love his acting. Yes, I must confess for the both of us that we're hooked on "24." We watch the re-runs on Sunday night. And the Monday night current shows of "24" are a never-miss experience. I don't think I've ever seen a better-written television show.

Isn't amazing how films, videos and DVD's have such an enormous impact on our lives? Along with music, it is probably the primary cultural influence on our teens. Rather than blast all the bad stuff on DVD's (and there is some horrendous junk out there), what if we could use films as a teaching tool for our kids? For our churches? I appreciate how our preacher, Mike Cope, has used film effectively to illustrate points in his sermon.

And what if we could use films as a talking point with those we know who aren't yet committed followers of Christ? Some Christian groups are planning to avoid boycotting "The Da Vinci Code" and instead use it as an opportunity to talk with their non-believing friends about the real Christ. (you might check out all the great materail about this upcoming blockbuster Christianity Today's website about "The Da Vinci Code."

For starters, see:

www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/gifttothechurch.html)

See you at the movies,

Jim

3 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Jim,
Did you really say,"I'm squeamish about violent films?"
HELLO! You watch "24" and you don't like violence? My wife and son are hooked on "24" also. It makes me stress too much.
We went Friday to see "United 93" and I highly recommend it. As the movie ended and people got up to walk out, you couldn't hear a word or a sound coming from anyone.
Just total silence. Almost an eerie silence born of reverence and reflection on something that we had been through before. One moment that stands out to me was watching the passengers and the highjackers praying at the same time. Just not to the same God.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Julia said...

Hi Jim!
Heather told me the other day that you are a blogger & I should check out your site! I'm glad I did & I'll continue to check in from time to time to try to keep up with you & your sweet family! I saw baby Chance last week & he is precious-your family is growing so quickly! We are expecting our 2nd baby girl in July & big sister Emma (2 1/2) is thrilled, and not a little impatient to meet her!

On your current subject, I'm glad you noted that there are those choosing not to boycott The DaVinci Code. I have had ambivalent feelings about this, not wanting to support anything that is seemingly anti-Christian, but honestly, I don't feel that I know enough about it to even make that claim! I plan on reading the book (which I hear is an excellent work of fiction) and seeing the movie so that I can carry on informed conversations with others, instead of making statements based on other's interpretations! That's my two cents for what its worth :). Tell Susan & your kids hello for me!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Tailpipe Terry. You're right. I'm inconsistent. I guess that I can put up with the violence of "24" because it is so well written and directed. Now, I need courage to go see United 93.

Julia, great to hear from you. Congratulations on your upcoming 2nd child. Yes, we can't wait to see Chance.

As one Christian writer said, the church needs to thank Dan Brown for giving followers of Christ an opportunity to witness to our friends about how Jesus is real and THE answer.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home