Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Problem of Self

Have you ever wondered how many of our problems are brought on by our selfishness? I found it so enlightening when going through the 12 step program that the root cause of my problems and others in the support group was self-centeredness. And isn't that really the essence of sin -- wanting to live independently of God, wanting to do what I want to do, living for my needs and not for God's glory?

This problem of self theme oozed from the pages of Scripture these last two mornings as I read the story of King David's final days. Men like Adonijah maneuvered for power, seeking to be the new leader of Israel. His quest was squashed. Then after David died, Adonijah brashly asked for David's servant, Abishag, to be his wife. This request cost him his life.

The problem of self. We all struggle with it, don't we? And haven't you noticed how miserable we make our lives or those around us when we want life to be all about me?

On the way to work, I was thinking of three different areas of our life where this issue of self emerges.

1. Our conversations. When we talk to others, do we mainly say what's on our minds? Or do we ask about the other person and then listen...I mean, really listen.

2. Our use of money. Ouch. This is a big one for me because I can be such a tightwad (just ask my family). Do we freely give money away? Are we willing to pick up the tab when having lunch with a friend? One man I know will never let me pay for a meal -- even though he doesn't have all that much money. I want to be more like him -- being others-centered.

3. Our prayers. When we place our requests before the Lord, do we ask Him mainly about our issues? Or do we pray for the concerns of others.

So what do I do with this problem of self ? How about a burial? As the new Mercy Me song says, "Goodbye Self." More importantly, God's word says:

"Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life. Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God. Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God, ends up thinking more about self than God. That person ignores who God is and what he is doing. And God isn't pleased at being ignored. But if God himself has taken up residence in your life, you can hardly be thinking more of yourself than of him. ..if the alive-and-presnt God who raised Jesus from the dead moves into your life, he'll do the same thing in you that he did in Jesus......So don't you see that we don't owe this old do-it-yourself life one red cent... The best thing to do is give it a decent burial and get on with your new life. God's Spirit beckons. There are things to do and places to go!" -- Rom. 8:11-14, The Message

Lord, please help me today once more die to self and live for you. To take up that cross and follow You, Jesus. And then live in a way that it's not all about me, but all about You. To the praise of Your glory.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 3:26 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Hi, Jim! I hope you don't mind me using this forum, but for some reason I just read this article about Sandi Jimenez, an elementary school principal in Langley Park, St Georges County, and the work she does in her school'd community. Just thought this would encourage you and those you work with!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/07/AR2006060702371.html

I know there are gangs in Abilene, and just wondered how many of 'the neighbours' and children in your working community are affected by their activity not only during the hot summer but year round?

Anyway, hope you and Susan and the kids are doing well. Love you! :)

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Not a problem, Deb. I'll check it out.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home