Wednesday, June 28, 2006

What can I, and only I, do to make a difference?

Earlier this year I read a helpful book on time management titled Time Power by Brian Tracy. Although his approach was a secular one, Tracy did offer some tremendous suggestions about how to make the best use of our time. Of course, as followers of Christ we realize that it really isn't "our"time. Rather, we are stewards of the time that our Lord has entrusted to us. Just like "our" money isn't really our money -- it's on loan for us to manage in a way that will honor our King.

I copied one page of this book and put it in my calendar so that I can refer to it periodically. It's titled, "Five Key Questions for Setting Priorities."

One of the questions is, "What are my highest value activities?" That is, which of my activities can contribute the greatest value to my company or to my family? If we're not sure, then ask those around us.

Another question he asks, which I come back to often is, "What can I, and only I, do that if done well will make a really difference?

You may struggle like I do to prioritize. When the activities at our ministry get going early in the morning, it's so easy to get caught up in the swirl and let what is most important fade in the background. So quickly I can get swept away with trivial, non-important tasks -- and let the high priority tasks slip away from me. Often this happens when I allow everyone to interrupt me. I let their agenda become mine.

I love the story of Jesus in Mark 1:35 –

"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed."


Jesus spent this time alone with the Father, getting His marching orders. And He stuck with them – all the way to the cross. To me, this has been vital to putting first things first -- having that quiet time with the Lord before I take a shower and get dressed.

Then at the start of my day, as I list all my things to do (I'm a compulsive list maker) I often will write in the bottom right corner of my "To Do" list page that question: "What can I, and only I, do that if done well will make a really difference?"

This morning I put under that question what I really need to get done before our group from Highland flies to Brazil tomorrow. Number !? Pray -- for my family, this ministry and the Brazil campaign.

I find it so helpful to keep coming back to that question about what I need to do that no one else can do -- as I submit to Christ in all my plans.

Hope this helps you. You might try it some time and tell us how it works.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Jim,
This is so true, especially for moms and dads. Sometimes we get so busy doing at church, school, and work that we are doing so many things others could do, and neglecting parenting that only we can do and only for a limited amount of time. As my daughter once told me, You are doing so many things for me, but not with me.
Tami

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great point, Tami. We are the Mom or Dad to our children.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home