Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A New Approach to Quiet Times

I love the times when a new Discipleship Journal arrives in my mailbox. Along with Leadership Journal, it has been the best magazine I've read over the years. Each issue contains such rich, life-relevant articles about how to keep following and trusting in Christ in the details of life.

There are usually one or two gems of articles that I read in every issue that I end up copying and passing out to others (the editors grant you permission to make copies if you write on the first page the source of the article, etc.). The short but power-packed article that Susan and I read last night was another such gem. Sarah Wetzel, a seasoned missionary wrote "The Advice That Changed My Quiet Times." She tells of a daylong prayer meeting, which brought about a major shift in her times alone with God. The leader of the retreat instructed the group in three different sessions to go off by themselves, choose one story or quote from Jesus and meditate on it for an hour.

These were the instructions from the leader that God used to dramatically change Sarah's life:

"Focus on the qualities you see in Jesus rather than dwell on the deficiencies you see in yourself."


As she did this during her three different meditative periods, Sarah found herself falling in love with Jesus. When she came off that retreat she wrote:

"Now when I meet with God, full of myself, my problems and my sins, I remember, Focus on the qualities you see in Jesus rather than dwell on the deficiencies you see in yourself. Then I take my Bible and look for something about Jesus that makes me want to love Him more."

For nearly 25 years I hardly miss a morning where I didn't start the day reading something in God's word, meditating on it, and then interceding for my family, some friends and those who especially need intervention from God that week. When we were first married, I noticed Susan making a habit of a morning quiet time. It was her example that prompted me to do the same. However, I know that too often my experience has been much like Sarah's was -- after reading a passage I'd be aware of how far short I fall of God's standard. And like Sarah, even after spending time in the word and in prayer, I would go away from that experience not really feeling full and satisfied. Something was missing.

This morning at our daily staff/volunteer devotional, I read to them excerpts from this article and then led us through a brief meditation exercise, as we read these words of Jesus from Matt. 11:28 -30 (one of my all time favorite verses):

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

We then spent a few minutes dwelling on the loveliness of Jesus. How He is an inviting God. A God Who alone offers us rest for our souls.

As we closed in prayer, we all sat there for a while, sensing the peace of the living Christ. And then our receptionist led us in a spontaneous verse of the song, "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus."

Whatever you're facing today, my friend, may your day be filled with joy and peace and love...as you fix your eyes on Jesus.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home