Thursday, June 22, 2006

Your Hand of Blessing on My Head

Last night at a small group meeting, I read some of Ps. 139 as we went into a time of prayerful discernment, seeking the Lord's will for our discussion last night. I love these words of David that describe such an intimate relationship he had with the Lord.

I read this passage again this morning. You might try reading these verses and meditating on them for a few minutes:

O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
2 You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my every thought when far away.
3 You chart the path ahead of me
and tell me where to stop and rest.
Every moment you know where I am.
4 You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
5 You both precede and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.


The imagery in this passage that especially grabbed my heart this morning was in the last part of verse 5:

You place your hand of blessing on my head.

This imagery reminds me of Jacob blessing Joseph's two sons, placing his hand on their heads and then granting them the blessing. And I think of the painting hanging over our fireplace, portraying the prodigal son kneeling before his father, receiving forgiveness and grace and a welcome home.

What does it mean for God to place His hand upon our heads? How do we let Him do this?

A friend of Susan and me just recommended a book on the Father's love which we bought. Susan is reading it right now and has already read some excerpts to me. I want to start reading it soon, because I long for that embrace from the Father. Doesn't He honor those who reach out for more of His love? Hebrews 11:6 promises us believers in Jesus "that he rewards those who sincerely seek him."

I'm wondering that we'll also experience the embrace of the Father, His hand on our heads, as we make ourselves vulnerable and confessional among the body of Christ. Especially in some sort of small group. At each of our elders meetings we have individuals, couples and families come in for prayer. We let them share their story and prayer requests and then we elders surround them, lay hands on them and pray over them.

I'm thinking that receiving the literal touch of other Christians -- hugs, words of blessing -- can be one way we feel God's hand upon us.

How do you experience Abba Father's hand upon your head? I'd love to hear your insights and stories.

Jim





7 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Candy said...

There's something about being touched on the head that brings me to my knees. I have felt amazingly close to the Father at those moments. It never matters whose hand it is - suddenly it is His.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great point, Candy. I think when we pray for each other in small group in the future we should read that passage and then put our hands on the head of the one being prayed for.

Jim

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Jim, I have something to tell you. Merlin and I read that psalm together in our marriage ceremony.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Awesome verse, I too love the word pictures. Just want I needed to read today. Thanks, Uncle Jim

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Wow, Bev. I had no idea.

Thanks, Heather,for your comment. So glad it blessed you.

Jim

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
When a member of our life team is in need of corporate prayer, we put them in the middle of the room and position ourselves all around, sitting, standing, kneeling, so as to find a way to touch the person. So there are hands everywhere, but certainly on the head. There is a connection to be made there, in the touch of other's hands on us, that is beyond the limits of what we can see. I have a sense that something comes out of us and goes into the person in the middle. Hebrews says that the "laying on of hands" is one of the "elemental teachings about Christ". Hmmm.
Wonder why we don't do that more often? Could it be we don't know the elemental teachings about Jesus, how he touched the leper and unclean, how he touched and held the children and babies, how he touched those he healed?
There is within each of us a sense of personal space, and we grow up keeping people out of it. Touch is intimate because we are in someone else's space, and to allow someone else there is an invitation to intimacy. How can we be intimate with Christ and not be intimate with the body with which we are supposed to be "one"? Have you ever noticed that a handshake is the most distant contact we can make with another? Why are there 5 "commands" to "greet one another with a holy kiss" in the epistles? Should we save our hugs for blood kin, when the blood of Jesus is deeper and richer than our own? No. No.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Cassy:

Welcome to this blog. Praise God for how it encouraged you.

And G'ampa C, thanks for your great insights once more. I love what you said about the power of touch in the body of Christ.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home