Friday, August 25, 2006

Someone's Praying

When I was a knucklehead surfer out in California during the 70's -- living in a worldly, sinful way -- I had no idea that someone in Texas was praying for me. And those praying for me didn't realize that they were praying specifically for me. Susan's parents, Bill and Virginia Vaught, had five girls. For many years they prayed together that their daughters would each marry Christians. In time, the Lord answered their prayers for all five girls.

It wasn't until a couple years after I moved to Dallas in 1979, after meeting and marrying Susan, that I had realized that all those years someone had been praying for me -- that I would one day marry their daughter. After 25 plus years, how I praise the Lord for answering the prayers of Bill and Virginia.

As I meditated on 2 Cor. 1 this morning, the Holy Spirit reminded me once more of how powerful our intercessions are in the name of Jesus. The apostle Paul describes this ordeal he went through in Asia where they feared that they would die. In retrospect he came to understand what the Lord was doing behind the scenes:two things:

this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

This passage made me think of those I know who are in some type of crisis. My mind travelled out to the west coast, where there's a couple I know who are having terrible marriage problems. I ask the Lord to intervene in their lives.

Then a friend comes to mind who told me recently with tears how he is struggling to find some meaningful work that will use his gifts to the fullest. I pray for him.

I lift before the Lord a young man raised in our church who has turned his back on God and has broken his parents' heart. "Lord, deliver him from the clutches of the enemy."

My friend, Lou Seckler, has told me that when he wakes up in the middle of the night and cannot sleep, he often asks the Holy Spirit to bring to mind people that really need help. And he'll pray for them until finally nodding off to sleep. What a great way to deal with insomnia!

Praying for others, especially those we know who are in some kind of peril, gets our mind off of ourselves. It's so easy to be focused on me and my little problems. I've found what a difference it makes in my spirit when I'm prayefully concerned for others and not dwelling on me.

I firmly believe that Jesus is still in the delivering business. And yet I forget so quickly how he uses my feeble prayers to move heaven.

Who has God put on your heart lately to pray for them? What if we did like my friend Lou -- not just at 3 in the morning when we cannot sleep, but in the middle of the day: ask the Lord to put in our minds people who need our intercessions.

This sinner saved by grace is so grateful for how the Lord used the prayers of Bill and Virginia Vaught to lead me to a wonderful Christian wife. I want to do the same for others -- allow the risen Lord to make me into more of a prayer warrior.
There are so many people we know who are in crisis. And yet think of how God can use our prayers to help these family and friends experience the truth that God still raises the dead! And one day, like Paul and his friends in Corinth did, we can
together thank the Lord "for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many."

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home