Monday, September 11, 2006

Relationships and 9-11

I think all of us will pause and reflect for a moment when for the first time today we notice the date on the calendar or write a check. I certainly did when I wrote "9-11-06" on my things to do list this morning. If we were at least five years old on that morning, it will be a day we'll never forget.

Last night Susan and I saw a very stirring documentary simply titled, "9-11." Ironically, on that dreaded day two French filmmakers, who were brothers, were at Ladder 1 firestation in downtown Manhattan. They had been with this crew for several weeks filming a documentary. When the towers were struck by the two airplanes and then eventually collapsed, those brothers were there with their video cameras, giving an upclose and personal look at this national tragedy.

What was particularly haunting footage was of the firefighters stationed in the lobby of Tower 1 when the other tower collapsed. It became nearly dark in that building. The chief called all his men to come back down the stairs and evacuate the building. After they had escaped (not one man was lost from the Ladder 1 crew!), several of them stood outside the North tower. And then it started to collapse. Again, one of the Frenchmen documented that event as he ran with others away from the tower.

Of all the images and stories I saw last night, one in particular stands out to me. It was the scene of the firemen returning to the station, hugging and crying each other. One by one they all returned safely. All but the rookie fireman, who was the centerpiece of the documentary. He had stayed behind at the station until a retired chief came and talked him into walking down to Ground Zero. But finally, the rookie returned back to the station. And all the men were amazed and deeply grateful they all survived.

I loved the scene where one of the filmmakers had come back to the station but couldn't find his brother, Jules. He asked each of the firemen as they dragged themselves back if they had seen his brother. None of them had. Until finally one of the firefighters said, "Look behind you." And there was Jules, safely returning from the rubble of the Twin Towers. Another cameraman caught the brothers hugging and crying for a long time. In a later interview, Jules' brother said, "After seeing my brother back at the station, I decided that from then on I wanted to be the best brother I could be." This tragedy and brush with death had a "values clarifying" impact on this man. Much more important to him than making an award-winning film was the relationship he had with his brother.

This particular story made me think of my own relationships. I often get so busy with my job, my ministry as an elder, painting the house, mowing the lawn, and all the other tasks that consume my day. And yet if I knew I were going to die in a few weeks or months, what where would I spend most of my time? With those I love – my family and close friends.

I think of the story of the late, great T.V. newscaster, Peter Jennings. In the early part of anchoring ABC’s coverage of 9-11, he called his children and wanted to make sure they were okay. When Jennings was in the midst of covering this unprecedented tragedy in our country, his close relationships leaped to the forefront of his mind and heart. He wanted to be with them or at least talk with them on the phone.

I have a friend who is a fireman in New York and a dear brother in Christ. He was off duty on 9-11 but was quickly called to Ground Zero to help with the rescue mission. It was a gruesome experience that has haunted him for these past five years. I want to call him some time today to tell him how much I love him and that I'm praying for him.

I guess what I'm feeling is that I want to every day have a deep sense of how important my family and close friends are to me. I want to treasure these relationships and nurture them. To call my wife in the middle of the day and just tell her I love her. To e-mail or text message my kids to let them know I'm praying for them. To send my 84 year old mother a letter, hopefully to enliven her lonely days in an assisted living place in California. And to treat my co-workers and volunteers with love, as Jesus would do so.

My favorite professor in Bible school and graduate school was a man named Will Ed Warren. He had 20 years of experience in local church ministry. This man was in love with Jesus and knew so much about what was at the heart of Christian ministry. I'll always remember what he said as he finished out one of our classes near the end of the semester: "Fellas, remember this when you're ministering and preaching in churches: RELATIONSHIPS, RELATIONSHIPS, RELATIONSHIPS."

Not bad advice as we go through this day. I hope that some time today you and I will call or write or e-mail a spouse, child, grandchild or friend. And just tell them how much we love them. Like that French filmmaker, I want to be the best brother I can be. And the best husband. And father. And son. And friend. To invest in those treasured relationships, empowered by the love of Jesus...who through His marvelous grace calls me His friend.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Jim, the following is a copy of today's devotional written by Oswald Chambers in My Utmost For His Highest

September 11, 2006
Missionary Weapons (Part 2)

If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet —John 13:14

Ministering in Everyday Opportunities. Ministering in everyday opportunities that surround us does not mean that we select our own surroundings— it means being God’s very special choice to be available for use in any of the seemingly random surroundings which He has engineered for us. The very character we exhibit in our present surroundings is an indication of what we will be like in other surroundings.

The things Jesus did were the most menial of everyday tasks, and this is an indication that it takes all of God’s power in me to accomplish even the most common tasks in His way. Can I use a towel as He did? Towels, dishes, sandals, and all the other ordinary things in our lives reveal what we are made of more quickly than anything else. It takes God Almighty Incarnate in us to do the most menial duty as it ought to be done.
Jesus said, "I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you" (13:15). Notice the kind of people that God brings around you, and you will be humiliated once you realize that this is actually His way of revealing to you the kind of person you have been to Him. Now He says we should exhibit to those around us exactly what He has exhibited to us.
Do you find yourself responding by saying, "Oh, I will do all that once I’m out on the mission field"? Talking in this way is like trying to produce the weapons of war while in the trenches of the battlefield--you will be killed while trying to do it.
We have to go the "second mile" with God (see Matthew 5:41 ). Yet some of us become worn out in the first ten steps. Then we say, "Well, I’ll just wait until I get closer to the next big crisis in my life." But if we do not steadily minister in everyday opportunities, we will do nothing when the crisis comes.

+++++++++

I find this apt for today's memorials and rememberances. It is in our everyday ministering that we grow spiritual muscles - muscles that will serve when a crisis such as 9-11 hits us.

Jim, you are so right! Letting our loved ones know how much we love them is part of that everyday ministering. That will bring us closer to them when a crisis hits our families, not if, when one hits.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Kathy:

Excellent stuff by Oswald. I needed to hear that today. Too often I want to be part of something big and glamorous, and to be honest, to get the acclaim of others. I repent of that sin of pride and ask the Lord to help me pick up the towel and serve others in the menial tasks of life. To His glory. Jesus did this -- to imitate Him, I want to do the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home