Friday, October 20, 2006

Dream With Me

If you live in Abilene, let me urge you to read the article by Terry Mattingly about the making of the film "Facing the Giants." If you don't live here, you might find it by Googling (isn't that an interesting verb) Mattingly's name or the Abilene Reporter News.

He tells of the young man who wrote , directed, and acted in this film produced by a Baptist church in Georgia -- for $100,000! Already it has generated $3 million!

The critics have been pretty brutal with the film, apparently. And yet it must have a great message. My neighbor saw it. While admitting that the acting was a bit weak, he did say the movie has a wonderful message.

I am proud of this courageous Christ follower in stepping out to make a difference for the Lord by using the most powerful medium today -- film.

As I read his story, my heart burned within me. You see, I've loved films for so many years and made a few while I was out in California. At one time I wanted to do this for a living. As was this man's story, when I saw Star Wars for the first time, I thought, "This is what I want to do with my life. Make movies." I even applied at USC Film School. But didn't get in. And that dream never materialized.

However, this passion for making films won't go away. And here's where I want you to dream with me, and join me in prayer. There is so much talent in this city. And potential to make films for a low cost, given the new technology in computers and video cameras. I want to call together several folks to cast a dream with them about starting to make Christ-honoring films using the students and professors in this city. My question is, "Must Hollywood hold the market on all the films?" Why can't Spirit-filled, creative children of God make movies that are well-crafted and with redeeming qualities?

I shared this idea with our staff and volunteers in our prayer time this morning. They got excited about it. And so I now share it with you. Dream with me. Pray with me, please. And I'll keep you posted on what God will do with this passion in my heart that just won't go away.

Jim

6 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger gram said...

Great idea
Just think how you could raise awareness for Christ and with the network that ACU has the film could been seen everywhere with little trouble
I would for sure sit through the credits and look for your name Jim
love ya
paula

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger gram said...

Great idea
Just think how you could raise awareness for Christ and with the network that ACU has the film could been seen everywhere with little trouble
I would for sure sit through the credits and look for your name Jim
love ya
paula

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Go for it, Jim! I spent many hours with you this past spring, and I know your passion for film and using that medium for God's glory.

This is a passion that lives deep within you, so you musn't ignore that.

I'll be praying!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Go for it, Jim! I spent many hours with you this past spring, and I know your passion for film and using that medium for God's glory.

This is a passion that lives deep within you, so you musn't ignore that.

I'll be praying!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Tam said...

Jim,
We saw the movie Sat night and thought it was great. Yes, the acting could have been better as well as the directing . It was slow at the first and maybe a little hookey at times, but then that is comparing to Hollywood's standards that makes fun at anything remotely Christian or moral. Great message. Great to watch on the big screen people speaking and acting out their faith in God. Awesome to see a coach praying, reading scripture, and teaching his team the way they act/think is bigger than winning/losing.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, encouragers. Yes, Steve, you know my passion well. It won't go away.

I'll keep praying and looking and sharing this dream with others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home