Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Welcomed into His Presence

Yesterday I spent a few minutes in my office with a man who wanted to do volunteer work with us. He began telling his story -- how he gave his life to Christ at a young age but over time veered off into a life of sin and addiction. Today his health is bad, his body suffering the consequences of sin.

He told me that he had a hard time believing in God's love and acceptance of him, since he messed up so much in life. Before he and I broke up the meeting, I suggested that we read a passage of Scripture and pray. This one came to mind:

Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come fearlessly into God’s presence, assured of his glad welcome. -- Eph. 4:12

When you think of God's holiness and our sinfulness, this promise is so awesome. Not only did my friend need to hear this promise. I did, too.

In my reading this morning of Ezekiel, there's a description of a man leading the prophet through a vision of a new temple. Suddenly "the glory of the God of Israel appeared...The sound of his coming was like the roar of rushing waters, and the whole landscape shone with his glory."

And in the presence of God's holiness, Ezekiel said " I fell down before him with my face in the dust." (Ezek. 43:2-3)

In my meeting with my friend yesterday and as I read this passage this morning, I was reminded once more of what an amazing privilege it is to come into God's holy presence.

I can't get enough of hearing this GOOD NEWS of the gospel: Through trusting in the blood of Jesus we can come FEARLESSLY into God's presence -- and be assured of His GLAD WELCOME.

As the hymn says, "Hallelujah, what a Savior."

Jim


2 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger Foy Jackson said...

"When I think of God not spare-ing, I scarce can take it in!"

I've tried to stand face to face with Jehovah looking HIM square in the eye! If discovered the only way I can face HIM is "on my face"

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great point, Foy.

Another hymn comes to mind, by Twila Paris:

"We bow down and crown Him the King..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home