Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Empty Dog Dish

"As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God,
till he shows us his mercy." -- Ps. 123:2


As I was shaving this morning, I sensed that someone was staring at me. I looked down and noticed that it was our dog, Oreo. She was the "someone" who was standing by her empty food bowl. If she could talk, Oreo would have probably said, "I'm hungry. Would you please give me some food?"


As I scooped up some dry dog food and put it in the dog's bowl, I told Susan that Oreo depends on us to feed her every day. And though we may not realize it, each day we are completely reliant on the Lord for all of our needs -- our food, our jobs, health, His constant forgiveness...every breath we take. What does that passage say in Acts? "In him we live and move and have our being.'" And yet too often I forget how much I rely on God for everything. Thus, pride and self-sufficiency and lack of compassion for others who can't seem to get it together creep in my soul so subtly and easily.

I've noticed that when my employment is steady, our marriage is peaceful, our children are getting along well, and health is good, I can get a bit complacent and feel self-sufficient. And then I get impatient with those who come to the Service Center or to me personally -- asking for help one more time. I tend to get prideful, looking down on those in such chronic need. Then the Lord brings to mind how good He has been to me in my lowest points. He did that early this morning when I went out to get the paper. A story from Matthew 18 surfaced in my mind -- when the man who had been forgiven millions of dollars in debt turned around and demanded that a man owing him 20 bucks pay him back right away.

I recall those days when I was out of work, needed to borrow money from my mother, and lived month by month-- barely making it by financially. And yet God provided for us, rescuing us over and over -- often through the generosity of friends, family and the body of Christ. As I think of the goodness of the Lord to me, how can I not be open-handed with those who come to me needing help with rent, clothes or medicine?


And I remember those times when I sinned greatly against the Lord and hurt my family through my harsh words. God forgave me. How can I not extend that same grace to others?

Each morning when I wake up, there's a "bowl of food" waiting for me -- prepared by the Master's hand. He provides all my needs in Christ Jesus -- over and over and over again. I want to do the same for others by being a grace-filled, open-handed, non-judgmental giver to everyone God sends my way. For I truly am a beggar sharing with other beggars the food so graciously given to me by the Bread of Life.

Jim


3 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Susie. You have a tender heart towards God.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

The very definition of grace requires, even demands, that the way we treat others is a yardstick of God's treatment of us. Humbling. Convicting. Purifying.

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger Deb said...

This is such a great post, Jim! Thanks for this loving reminder of a Father who loves us continually. And for reminding us of how to love those in our midst.

Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home