Friday, December 01, 2006

Known fully and loved completely

I've been experiencing chronic pain in my neck for the past two months. After trying various other things, my doctor finally ordered an MRI. Thank the Lord, the results came back yesterday saying that my brain was clear (I was thankful they found a brain!). However, I they did discover that I have a herniated disk in my neck. Now it's on to the physical therapist, which is manageable. I appreciate all of you who prayed for me.

I've never had an MRI before and was a bit nervous, especially when the technician asked me right before sending me into that huge metal tube, "Are you claustrophobic?" I am. But I just closed my eyes and tried to lay as still as possible while being bombarded by these strange noises. And the neatest thing happened. God gave me this amazing peace as He brought Scriptures and hymns to mind.

At one point I thought of how this machine was making it possible for doctors to see right into my body. What an amazing invention! And then this Scripture came to mind:

the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. -- Heb. 4:12-13

You and I cannot hide a thing from the Lord. And yet if we realized that when we're in Christ we can know that He loves us and has forgiven us because of the shed blood -- even when He sees the inmost thoughts of our hearts, the good and the bad.

Just like I wanted my doctor to see what was going on in my head and neck, to find the source of the pain and then seek the proper remedy, I want the Lord to examine me each day. Because I know He LOVES me I don't need to be frightened or run away from His MRI machine. Instead, I can be like the psalmist in Ps. 139:

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

What an awesome privilege to be known fully and yet loved completely by the living God.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

What a great image, Jim. Thank you for this reiminder. You are always such an incredible source encouragement and humble faith in my journey of faith:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home