Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Heroes

I tried watching some of that new show, "Heroes." But I could not get into it. And yet I like the title -- reminds me of folks with whom I work each day.

Yesterday our son, Aaron, came to the Service Center, armed with a digital camera. He needed to do a project for his photography class at ACU and decided to document the happenings here at my hangout. As I took Aaron around to help him get some good shots, I introduced him to several of our volunteers -- many of whom have worked here for years. After getting Aaron to meet and photograph several of these volunteers, I told him about a few of them:

Bert, who is a World War 2 vet that fought on the beaches of Normandy. He's now 84 and usually opens up the building every morning and then runs our men's clothing department.

Bobby, who is 91 and has volunteered here for 24 years. She works all day each Tuesday. As Aaron and I were walking down a hallway, we noticed Bobby coming towards us, carrying a rather heavy box back to our kitchen utensils room. When I asked her if I could carry the box for her, Bobby politely declined: "No, I'm fine. I've got it."

Then of course there's Imogene. 92 years old. On a walker. A 20 year veteran here. Her mind is still razor sharp. She still drives. And is one of the most tireless and joyful workers here. She loves serving the Lord at the Christian Service Center.

Aaron was amazed as he met all these elderly people. They could be sitting home feeling sorry for themselves but instead were involved in meaningful ministry to the poor. And they experience so much joy doing this each day -- joy that I believe comes from the Lord.

These are a few of my heroes. Who are some of your heroes who are in their sunset years and yet are still involved in service to others?

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home