Friday, December 15, 2006

Sunday Morning at the Movies

Last Saturday evening Susan and I attended a wonderful senior program in the recital hall of the new music building at ACU. Lauren Allred, a very talented theater arts major, and a Highland girl, belted out all these great songs. What stage presence! We were so proud of her.

During the reception I had a long visit with Terry Browder, who decorated the food table -- talking about another great talent! I mentioned to him the ongoing angst I have of wanting to use my gifts more -- this longing always seems to surface when I attend an event like Lauren's recital, where I see someone else's gifts showcased. When I told Terry that I want to get more involved in photography and film he told me his story. For many years Terry has had a very successful business in title research. And yet his great passion is decorating. After years of asking the Lord to let him use this talent in some way that would glorify God, opportunities began to come his way. Someone told him about a house for sale that was three houses down from the Highland building. He used his decorating gifts to turn this old house into a beautiful home that he and his wife have named the Hospitality House. I've mentioned it before. It has blessed so many people needing a temporary place to stay -- sometimes during a crisis in their lives.

Terry urged me to give to God this desire of mine -- to let Him use this passion for photography and film for His glory. And then he said, "I'm going to pray for you, Jim, that God will reveal His will for you in this area."

That next day at church, my friend Dale Blackburn came up to me and said, "Jim, I have an idea for a film. What if we made a movie about our struggle with contentment? We can show it in our Bible class on finances." I got very excited about Dale's proposal...and suddenly remembered Terry's offer to pray.

That next evening Dale and I were at the Abilene Mall, filming several sequences of different shoppers (who just "happened" to be the leaders in the Christian finances class). We shot nearly the whole film that night. Last night Dale and I sat in the den of Mark Sutphen, who graciously offered his services in editing our project. What a whiz he is with Pinnacle software -- a PC moviemaking gizmo. By midnight we came very close to producing the final cut. It is going to be a hilarious 9 minute film.

This Sunday in Dale's class the film will have its world premier. I pray it will have a great impact on its viewers. Who knows...maybe you can see it on "You Tube "some day.

It's such a joy to use one's God-given gifts to create. Thank You, Lord, for how You answered Terry Browder's prayer so quickly.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Praise God, Jim! I knew an opportunity for the M. Night Shyamalan in you to peek its head out would come your way ...

You should definitely put your video on YouTube. I'd love to see it.

Blessings.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Amazing how God bring opportunities to those who ask Him

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Steve and Tami. Good idea about YouTube. I need to talk my editing compadres into this idea. Will let you know if and when that happens.

Great to read of your Boston ministry, Steve. It was in Highland's bulletin yesterday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home