Monday, December 18, 2006

Waiting patiently

"these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." -- Hab. 2:3

Yesterday afternoon, hundreds of us were packed in the Chapel on the Hill, witnessing the marriage of Chase Craig and L'Nae Jensen. Both of these "young people" grew up in the Highland Church. They started dating their senior year in high school and are now seniors in college. One of the most tender moments in the ceremony was when the mothers lit candles and then the parents, bride and groom all hugged each other. It was obvious that both parents were so pleased with this union, an answer to many, many prayers.

One of the most interesting aspects of the wedding was the Powerpoint slide show during the prelude. Many of the photos were of various friends and Highland people who had been part of the Jensen and Craig lives for many years. I thought of how powerful it is to raise one's children in a Christian community. And then to see your children marry another believer and carry on that legacy.

Throughout the wedding and during the receptoin, it was hard not to think of our own children and how much I look forward to each of them marrying someone whom they love and we love. And most importantly, that they will wed a strong believer in Jesus. I know it takes time, and patience and lots and lots of prayer. Susan and I have been praying fervently for Aaron and Shannon to marry someone who loves Jesus deeply.

As I read Habbakuk this morning, it made me think of the value of trusting the Lord and waiting on His timing. I realize that I'm pulling this verse way out of context. Yet I just believe that the Lord does great things in the lives of those who deeply trust Him and wait on Him to work, surrendering to His timing and His will.

I certainly saw this happen yesterday afternoon. And I pray it will one day occur in Aaron and Shannon's lives. So that we will once more see the faithfulness of our Lord.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home