Friday, February 09, 2007

Family Storms

My wife loves live theater. Occasionally she talks me into going to them. Every once in a while I enjoy them. But a few times I've left after the intermission -- not that they were poor productions. It's just that I'm more of a visual person and thus I prefer film over a bunch of dialogue.

Last night was different. I had to go to the play because my wife was asked to speak at a "talkback" immediately after the end of this opening night. This week Susan read the script and then put together a thorough response piece from a Social Work perspective. She gave me a summary of the play so I could be familiar with the plot and hopefully enjoy it more. I still didn't relish sitting through this nearly three-hour production.

Although it is an American classic and won a Pulitzer prize, "A Streetcar Named Desire" is a downer of a play. However, as I witnessed this production of the hugely talented direction of Adam Hester and his ACU Theater students, I was deeply moved by this play. And reminded that domestic violence is much more than a play to millions of people in our world.

I was so proud of Susan as she began the "talkback" session that followed the play. She was on a panel with Adam and several of the cast. Susan discussed the common cycle of spousal abuse and how so many women keep coming back to their husbands, even after they are so cruel to them. I loved what Adam said -- this is a story of several hurting people who are in desperate need of a Savior. He noted that Blanche, the main character, was like the woman at the well in John 4 -- although sadly, she never encountered Jesus to receive that new life He offers us.

A 34 year-old memory flashed in my mind as I sat in the aftermath of this production. My family was having a Sunday evening dinner and my parents had invited some relatives over. This couple had been married for years but had unfortunately endured a rather stormy relationship. Right in the middle of our wonderful steak dinner they had a huge fight. Their words to each other across the table were so caustic.

The husband ended up storming out the door and waiting in the car for his incensed wife as she continued to put him down. It was, to the say the least, very awkward for the rest of us.

My Mom headed to the sink to start washing the dishes and I decided to join her. I'll never forget her words to me as she stood next to me, scrubbing those plates: "Jimbo, people need Jesus."

Yes, indeed, Mom. Yes, indeed.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Neva said...

From a fellow social worker, AMEN! Jesus is truly what they need and we are truly to be His tools.
Peace to you and yours

Neva

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

this subject is one that noone seems to want talk about and seem to want to avoid and when some break their silence it is so important to embrace them and not ignore them as they have left themselves completely vulnerable....good for Adam...

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

My constant prayer is that we followers of Jesus will make obvious that with us there is a safe place that allows for this transparency.

Few things are more destructive to the human psyche than abuse. The transference of responsibility from the abuser to the victim can be so subtle that the victim accepts the lie challenging their worth - to the point a type of Stockholm Syndrome sets in and they are paralyzed, unable to leave. But if they don't leave, the ultimate form of power over them in the abuse can escalate in the taking of the life of the abused.

May we educate more and more about abuse. Its horrific and long-lasting influence on the formative years of a child's mind cannot be overemphasized, not to mention the damage to the victim AND the abuser.

May we be the bearer of God's Good News, that we have worth because God gifts us with worth in Him - that only in Him can we find true peace and fulfillment.

Bless you, Jim for bringing yet another major issue out in the open for discussion and prayerful consideration about what OUR participation must be to help those that abuse and are victims of abuse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home