Monday, March 12, 2007

Getting a Vision from God

Some time back I read a quote from one of my favorite authors, Bill Hybels, that has stuck with me. He said that if you want God to give you a vision for the ministry you're leading, go visit other ministries where you see Him at work.

I followed his advice and was so blessed by what I saw last Thursday. God touched something deeply in my soul, where I sensed him telling me that this was a vision for the Christian Service Center that I've been searching for the past 3 and a half years.

Here's a photo of the main building of Christian Community Action, located in Lewisville, Texas. It's led by the Scott Orr, the son of my dear friend in Abilene, Dub. For the year Dub has been telling me, "Jim, you've got to see this ministry my son is leading.? He was right. I needed to see it.

Born out of a Bible study 34 years ago, Christian Community Action (CCA) has grown into a ministry that has a food pantry the size of a small grocery store, six full-time case workers, a medical and dental clinic, a chapel, a chaplain, a Job Search SupPort Group, an off-site childcare center, an affordable housing and housing renovation program, and on it goes. They emphasize both compassion and accountability, which I have a burden do here in Abilene.

It has gradually grown into where it is today. And the part I especially love is that it is so Christ-centered. They're all about doing their ministry in the name of Jesus and for His glory.

At lunch today, Susan and I watched a DVD of this ministry, which modeled the type of DVD I hope to produce for our ministry and show at a banquet this November. I want to show this DVD to our board next week, helping them to catch this vision for how we could expand and improve our ministry here.

Please pray for us as we continue following the leading of the Lord and seek His vision for what the Christian Service Center could become as a Christ-honoring ministry to the poor and hurting and lost of Abilene.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger reJoyce said...

Thanks for posting about this ministry. We've just moved to the DFW area and were looking for a place to volunteer near home, but had not found anything yet. We live just one town over in Flower Mound, so this looks promising. Thanks again. :-)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Jim,

I am promising to partner with you in prayer for your vision. CSC is so wonderful in its present form but all the facets of CCA are so needed here in Abilene. One step at a time, I'm sure our LORD is directing you to achieve your vision to His glory!!

And reJoyce! Well, dear, if you're this close to Abilene now, I certainly pray you will one day in the near future journey out to the wild west Texas prairie to visit us, including a visit to CSC with Jim, but also a visit to Highland w/me. What a joy that would be!!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Rejoyce:

I thank God that you're looking for a place to serve Him by loving the least of these. CCA just may be a fit for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home