Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Princes and the Paupers

I spent the last two days at a poverty workshop here in Abilene. The first day I found myself surrounded by about 200 others, mainly school teachers who were off from school. The rest of us were from agencies that help the poor. Yesterday, there were just 30 of us, crammed into a small classroom, learning how to use a book designed to help those stuck in generational poverty to escape from this trap.

Both of the presenters were excellent. The main topic of Monday's session was on how to understand the differing rules and language and perspectives on money/lifestyles/relationships between the middle class and those trapped in generational poverty. In general, these are some of the differences:

Those in generational poverty:

1. Think in terms of today, the moment. They have no future story. "I just need to get through today," is their mantra.

2. Live by survival.

3. Value relationships above everything else. If their child is sick and they must leave work or not go in, even if they'll lose their job to do so, they'll take care of the child.

4. See entertainment as very important -- even if it means taking a 5 minute cigarette break. The presenter told a story of a family that was given a refrigerator. A few weeks later, the kids weren't in school for several days. When their teacher asked where they were, they said that the family went on vacation. How did they afford it? They sold the refrigerator.

5. Transportation is often erratic and unreliable (depending on the bus schedule and cars that are always on the verge of breaking down)

Those in middle class:

1. Are more future-oriented (since today is taken care of). They're more likely to have the privilege of putting money away for retirement or their child's education

2. Work and achievement are much higher on their list than that of the poor.

3. They're more likely to have stable housing and reliable cars

4. They have more access to regular health care

I realize that these are generalizations and don't hold true for everyone in these classes. However, stepping back and recognizing the vast differences between the middle class and those in generational poverty was so helpful. I realized how incredibly blessed I have been materially. In the words of the presenter, many of us started off life on 2nd or 3rd base. My family always had a house, plenty of food, extra money for vacations. My parents assumed that all the kids would go to college. The university I attended was subsidized by the state of California and so I came out debt free after graduating (thanks also to help from my parents).

Then I think of men like "Wilson," who comes by the Service Center at least two or three times a month -- needing some food or some shoes. His work is sporadic. The house he lives in was condemned. His wife/girlfriend is in and out of his life. Wilson probably didn't worry about hearing that the stock market took its sharpest plunge yesterday since September 11, 2001. That news brings anxiety to the wealthy and many in middle class circles. While Wilson just hopes to have enough food for today.

What am I going to do with all this information and training?

1. I hope that the Lord will give me a deeper compassion for the poor.

2. I pray that I'll learn from the poor in how to trust God for my daily bread, rather than putting my trust in my job or the economy.

3. I ask the Lord to make me more generous to those in need, as He reminds me that I was very privileged to start out life on 3rd base while so many others are still trying to get on base. Many folks that come through our doors each day have struck out so many times that life has become very discouraging. They may be on the verge of giving up. And they need followers of Christ, who are filled with the Holy Spirit and thus care deeply for the bruised and broken, to care enough to "go to bat" for them.

When Jesus "saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." (Matt. 9). May we do the same...day by day.

Lord, I want to do be a champion for the harrassed and helpless that cross my path each day. For Your sake. And for Your glory. Amen.

Jim



3 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Neva said...

Jim,
Kathy sent me over --what an encouraging blog you have. Having lived in a station wagon with two small children and a terminally ill husband for several months, I can relate to much of what you said. Relationships are indeed important and had our relationship with God not been there, we would have indeed succumbed. We learned to thank Him for truck driver showers, for warm bologna and for life. Now, as a social worker and a minister's wife, it is important to me that physical needs are addressed as well as spiritual needs. It is also important to encourage us all that we dont judge by our own value system. God never said anything about refrigerators or vacations.
Bless you in your ministry
Peace and prayers
Neva

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
Isn't it true. I am blessed beyond measure.
There really are three social classes defined by food:
1. Biggest concern is having none.

2. Biggest concern is how it tastes.

3. Biggest concern is the presentation.

How humbling to realize I have never been in #1.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Neva:

Welcome aboard. I REALLY appreciate your insights. We need someone like you to help run tnis ministry.

Interesting note -- I'm a minister and my wife is a social worker. Great combination, don't you think?

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home