Friday, June 22, 2007

Receiving

We have a little tradition around here at the Service Center. Every afternoon around 3, I like to slice up an apple or orange, arrange the pieces on a small plate and walk around the building to give our volunteers a piece of fruit. One time I cut up a scrumptious pineapple. That was a big hit.

One thing I've noticed about this tradition is that one person to whom I offer some fruit invariably turns me down. "Oh know, I don't need it. Give it to someone else." I guess she means well and is trying to be polite. But I think it's sad when someone never wants to receive a gift from you. The receiver misses out on getting a blessing, and the giver is hurt by being spurned. That's why whenever I go to someone's home and they offer me something to drink I always tell them "Yes" -- even if it's just a glass of water. I know that the host will be blessed by this small offer of hospitality.

I was struck by this whole idea of receiving yesterday morning in my quiet time. So many Scriptures talk about receiving Christ and His rule in our lives:

"anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." -- Mark 10:15

Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. -- John 16:24

"Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. -- Acts 2:38 (Emphasis mine)

What is it about our human nature that we're reluctant to receive things from God? Isn't it pride? And yet don't we get in situations that are so desperate that if we don't receive from the Lord what we need -- a sense of His presence, close friends who can minister to us, healing, a financial blessing -- we're sunk?

And just think of how we bless the Lord when we continually receive from Him all He has for us in Christ. We show Him our dependence upon Him.

And then as we receive, we then get to be a conduit of giving to others in need.

Jim


6 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Neva said...

Jim,
When I was growing up my mother used to teach us about this very concept. She reminded us how great we felt when we helped others and then told us we were robbing others of that great feeling when we were not gracious recipients. It stuck with me.
Peace
neva

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
Maybe there are two reasons we refuse help from God (and others).
1. Out of our pride, as you said. We can handle it ourselves.
2. Out of a false sense of humility. Peter was not going to allow the Lord to wash his feet, because he knew who the Lord was and who he was. Yet, Jesus said for his disciples to wash each other's feet, and be blessed. We trade something when we serve. We give up being children of this world and become children of God. Jesus was desperately trying to show his disciples how absolutely necessary it is to be servants, to look down on no one, and to love.

When we read "Bear each other's burdens, and so fulfill the Law of Christ.", we can intellectualize that to mean "I will help others (but I don't need their help)." That attitude prevents others access to our spiritual needs, and prevents us from accessing theirs.
Until we can rid ourselves of our false sense of humility, we will not allow the Lord in, for He will not force his way uninvited.
Until we rid ourselves of our pride and arrogance, we defraud our brothers and sisters of their blessing in service, and we prevent the Lord from doing the good for us he wants to do.

What a shame it is that we must so often be broken to desperation before we can seek or accept help, when all along he is waiting, watching, longing for us to seek him and just ask.
He calls us his children, which makes him our Daddy. That picture is the closest image on earth of how he wants us to call on him and how he wants to lavish his love on us.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Jim, I'm sure in the CSC you meet many that are ashamed to admit they need help, another facet, possibly of pride. For some, it's difficult to be that transparent about their private lives - which then become public lives once they express need.

Can we ever really know each other, have an intimate friendship, relationship with others if we cannot be transparent about our needs?

Recently I chided one of our dear members of Highland the other day when I found this person had undergone cardiac surgery. The answer to my question of why did we not know about this was, "I was taught to keep personal problems to myself." My response was that we are cheated of entering the Throne Room when we are uninformed about someone's need.

The exchange of personal, private information is necessary if we're ever going to break down the walls of silence between us, not to mention our inability to take those situations to our Father.

Great post, Jim. But then, is that not what we look forward to on your blog? Yes! And you do not disappoint.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

maybe the reason behind the denial of the one who is to be receiving should be researched further.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Cody Blair said...

great words here Jim. love this insight

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great responses, my sisters and brothers. Yes, we do rob ourselves of intimacy with our fellow Christians -- and with Christ, I would add -- when we try to keep our problems to ourselves.

That's one reason why I love Jerry Taylor so much. Every time I come up to him after one of his sermons, he always says, "Pray for me." He knows what it means to be depend on Christ, and upon the prayers of his brothers and sisters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home