Friday, June 15, 2007

Grandmother Books

This morning I read a long obituary about a sweet woman of God named Frances Cadenhead. She went home to Jesus yesterday. I knew Frances mainly through the mail -- she was a regular donor to this ministry. Often Frances would send us a check to help purchase food for our ministry. As I do with every donor, I responded back with a thank you note.

In reading the obituary, I was amazed at how this Christian woman showed compassion for the poor in every city where she lived. She was a Dorcas, who deeply cared for those in need. I look forward to hearing more about her as I plan to attend her funeral tomorrow.

Her obit. made me think about Grandmother books. I never got to know my grandmothers very well. They both lived in Canada while I was growing up in California. And they died when I was pretty young. And yet years later God provided me another grandmother -- Susan's mother's mom. Grandmother Paul was the sweetest Christian woman, having grown up in Victoria, Texas.

When Susan's mother moved Grandmother Paul to Dallas, I used to go by to see her at her apartment. She'd always serve us coffee and ice cream. During those days I came across a book at a Hallmark store. It was called simply "The Grandmother Book." Susan and I bought the book and for two or three times we sat down Grandmother Paul and interviewed her, writing down what we heard in the Grandmother Book. We now have, sitting on our bookcase, some wonderful memories about her childhood, marriage, family life and spiritual journey. It is an absolute treasure.

A couple weeks ago Susan and I bought another one of these books and we plan to interview her mother. This will be a great heirloom for us to pass down to our kids.

My point is this: let's not wait until funerals and writing obituaries to learn about a loved one. Instead, let's have them tell their stories -- now! And write them down (or video tape their story).

It will be a treasure to us that would far outweigh a financial windfall or a piece of furniture.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

man, ya'll read alot of books..

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home