Friday, June 01, 2007

Watching Films Through Discerning Eyes - Part 1

Last week I stumbled upon a fascinating book written by a Christian philosopher and screenwriter named Brian Godawa. It's called Hollywood Worldviews. Subtitle "Watching Films with Wisdom and Discernment." It's a very indepth exploration of how a variety of world views -- existentialism, postmodernism -- are portrayed in today's films, much to some (or many?) of the viewers awareness.

I like his words in the preface of Godawa's book:

From the funniest comedy to the saddest tragedy, movies capture the imagination, but they also convey the values and worldviews that we hold dear (as well as some we detest). My goal is to help the viewer discern those ideas that drive the story to its destination and how they influence us to live our lives -- to understand the story behind the story.

Why do I find this book to be so important to the follower of Christ? Because I fear that too many of us (especially our youth) are not all that conscious of how movies' messages impact us. While I love films and think they can be used as tremendous tools for giving us topics for conversations about the gospel with believers and non-believers, I am concerned about the insidious way they can shape our minds and hearts -- especially young people.

At the end of each chapter, Godawa suggests that the reader watch a certain genre of film with some friends and then discuss it afterwards. It made me think that I'd love to invite our small group over, watch a film that has substance and a powerful message, and then respond to certain questions, such as: "What is the writer's world view?" "What does the gospel say to the message of this film?" "How was my faith either strengthened or challenged by the movie?"

I guess what I'm saying is that there are ways we can engage the cultural worldview of films by saying more than "I liked it" or "I hated it." Instead, what if we brought our faith into the theater or our living room and allow these movie moments as tools to strengthen our discipleship in Christ.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

I sit my bottom down and watch it with them..some of the absolute best teaching moments ever.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Amen. The power of stories.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

I came in last on this one, answering under Part 2, :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home