Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Watering Gardens

Bev Mann responded to yesterday's post with a hearty "Amen" -- how we need to be about doing for others rather than sit around and talk about God or form committees.

I mentioned to her about watering gardens. That is, I told the story of when I was in Randy Becton's office at Herald of Truth one afternoon. He asked me, "Jim, whose garden do we knowthat needs watering?" That is, "Whom do we know that is struggling in some way and could really use a pastoral touch?"

Early this morning as I was starting to awaken from my slumber, I looked over at Susan and started praying for her. Then a few others came to mind and I prayed for them. Too often I pray for my problems and challenges at work. But it hit me today while in bed -- I think far too much about my need for the Lord's strength and not enough about the prayer needs of others.

And so, whose garden could you water today? Maybe you can start "turning on the hose" by asking the Holy Spirit to put on your heart people those who need your fervent prayers today. And they may even need from you a visit or phone call or to be taken out for breakfast.

And I guarantee you -- when you water someone else's garden in Jesus' Name, the Lord will bless you with a refreshment for your own heart. What does that proverb say? "He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."

Jim

4 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

"turning on the hose"..that's good Jim!

One thing I loved about Stanley Shipp (sp?) and Landon Saunders is they were all about remembering to make a difference with EVERY person you meet down to the cashier at McDonald's.

I remember Stanley told a story about sitting in an airplane and watching a harried business man throw his stuff up in the overhead bin and sitting down in a huff. Stanley said that he quietly got up and opened the bin and took out the man's overcoat and folded it nicely and put it back in the bin. The man was watching him and they talked the rest of the trip.

Thanks for reminding me today to turn on the hose and watch for thirsty souls!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Stanley was so good at that. I remember seeing him do similar things. That person at the gas station taking your money is a person created in the image of God, for whom Christ died. In my busyness I forget this at times. Thanks for that story, Bev.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger gram said...

Jim
I really agree
and you really hit my nail on the head
I need to stop complaining about how church isn't doing things the way we need to and look at the people that we reach and help
paula

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

I have that same battle, Paula. And then I see these men and women in our church working among the poor at our church plant -- week in and week out, loving these people in Jesus' Name. It's humbling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home