Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Me vs. Them

Last Thursday Susan and I hosted a Brazil prayer session and planning session, as we prepare to go back there next summer. After listening for a minute or so to a wonderful praise CD on the goodness of the Lord to us, we entered into an extended time of prayer. One person confessed a sin to God that I have never heard prayed. He said, "Lord, I tend to think of myself too much. It seems that in every part of my life I'm always thinking of me. Please forgive me for my self-centeredness."

He confessed a sin that in our honest moments we could all admit to the truth that too often "it's all about me." I guess it's our human nature. This centrifugal force of the flesh is continually pulling us into this me-centered lifestyle. And of course the only solution to this problem is death -- death to self as we surrender to Jesus and let His Spirit rule in our hearts.

Paul made this point so well when chiding the Corinthians for their misuse of gifts:

Since you are so eager to have spiritual gifts, ask God for those that will be of real help to the whole church. -- 1 Cor. 14:12

My prayer after reading this passage early this morning was, "Lord, please use the spiritual gifts You have given me to bless others. And to not keep thinking of my needs, but of others."

One of the reasons I absolutely love going on these Brazil campaigns is to experience and witness the amazing unity of Christians who are focused on the common goal of sharing Jesus with others. As we gather items for garage sales, write fund-raising letters, meet for prayer sessions, load our luggage on a bus to DFW, get settled into our hotel in Brazil, sing in the mall, work diligently at the camp and so on -- there is so much JOY. It's the joy that the Lord gives when His people work together for His honor. It was all about others for the glory of God, and not all about us. And because of that focus we had, we received an amazing blessing from the Holy Spirit -- that unspeakable joy.

When we think and act in terms of them and not me, in the name of Jesus, I truly believe that the Lord gives us that experience from His promise that it truly is more blessed to give than to receive.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Blume Family said...

Jim, your friends prayer hit me right between the eyes. Much too often it is about me. Please thank your friend for his prayer and for the way he reminded me that it isn't about me. Too often I feel miles away from dying to self.
Your blog is already a blessing to myself and Benay. We've added it to our blog so that others can be encouraged as well.
Our prayer time together last week was such a blessing to me.
We pray that God continues to bless your ministry.
Love you brother, Kevin

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Kevin:

You are a man filled with the Spirit and thus sensitive to His conviction and leading. We all battle that self issue.

The breakfast with you was an absolute delight. And thanks for passing on my blog to others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home