Friday, September 14, 2007

Grace Bearers

Have you ever wondered of what it would be like to have a video camera running during your worst moments? We can look so good at church, at work, and when friends come over for dinner. But what about those unguarded moments, when we let our sinful nature take over and we do things that we'd be appalled by if we heard others do?

My worst moments are usually at home. Late at night. When I'm tired and in a grumpy mood. And often when I have some pent up anger that is unleashed on someone (or something) that was not in the least responsible for the anger.

Okay, confession time. I don't have a video of the incident (thank You, Lord). But someone else witnessed it. A person full of the grace of God.

Right before going to bed we tried spraying our dog's tail with something that's supposed to stop her itching. I tried to distract Oreo (the name of our Jack Russell Terrier) while Susan attempted to apply the spray. But Oreo knew what she was doing and so she kept moving away from her "Vet." The bottom line was I lost my temper with the dog, Oreo won and I ended up with a couple small bites.

After she went outside for a few minutes (Oreo, not Susan), she came back in, was as friendly as ever and wanted to lick my hand. I felt like I was in the doghouse, but Susan extended me grace for my blow up. And we went to bed at peace. Well, kind of at peace. I was trying not to beat myself up for doing what I shouldn't have done.

I'll likely share this incident with my men's prayer group this Tuesday and with my buddy Randy at our weekly Wednesday lunch. Oh, how I need the grace of God each day! The Father who sees EVERYTHING in our lives keeps extending His mercy and grace because He's given us the merits of Jesus - even when we feel lower than the woman caught in adultery.

And I feel so blessed to be around "grace bearers" -- those who know me well, warts and all...and love me anyway. And I'm grateful they don't carry a video camera around with them!

Jim

7 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Dogs are usually so forgiving. Everwonder why, when you spell DOG backwards, you see GOD?

:)

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Yes, Oreo taught me a lot about not holding grudges.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

if only it were only dogs we hurt..

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Neva said...

I too, am grateful for anonymity during my "less than graceful" moments. It saddens me that my Father in heaven is still hurt by those actions but I am forever grateful that His love is unfailing, forgiving and forever.

Peace
Neva

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

alright jim that's a long enough break get back to writing..i miss reading

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Steven Gaines said...

May grace abound to you now and always. Thanks for sharing.

It was good to see you at Lectureship.

Check out my new blog:

http://stevengaines.wordpress.com

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no I would not like a camera on my [frequent] worst moments

 

Post a Comment

<< Home