Monday, February 20, 2006

Look at those who are honest and good

Yesterday Susan and I were blessed to attend a luncheon honoring the Alumnus of the Year at Abilene Christian University. His name is Don Crisp, a Dallas businessman of tremendous integrity, wonderful family man, elder and chirman of the board at ACU for the past 14 years.

It was especially meaningful to us as he was our Bible class teacher for the singles class at the Prestoncrest Church in Dallas -- where Susan and I met. We loved him and his wife, Carol,so much. Because of his influence on us through his Christ-character and loving spirit, Susan and I asked him to perform our wedding. He agreed and performed a beautiful ceremony.

His life exemplifies what Eugene Peterson called "a long obedience in the same direction." When I read this passage in my quiet time this morning, I thought of Don's life: "Look at those who are honest and good, for a wonderful future lies before those who love peace."

Before the lunch began, I walked up to Don and said, "Don, of all the accomplishments in your life that I see, I'm most proud that you allowed the Lord continue to change you." His reply was, "He had a lot of work to do."

Who are the "long obedience" mentors in your life? Those who day by day keep following Jesus and thus do the right thing...for His glory?

I'll be gone all this week to attend the National Pastors Retreat and Conference in California. So I may not blog much until next week.

In His grip,

JIm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home