Thursday, February 16, 2006

Pushing Through Our Fears

I read in today's sports' page that U.S. Skier Lindsey Kildow tied for eighth in yesterday's down hill final. No medals for her. However, I want to give her a gold medal for bravery.

You probably saw replays on T.V. of her infamous, spectacular and horrifying fall on a practice run earlier this week. While rushing down the hill at 50 m.p.h., Lindsey lost her balance, did an awkward leg split, flew 15 feet in the air, and then came crashing down on the hard slope. They rushed her to the hospital where they found that she had suffered a bruised thigh, and anching back and a sore pelvis.

Amazingly, Lindsey left the hospital two days later , put her skis back on and hurtled down the hill and got 8th place. Could you imagine the fear she faced as she came to the spot where she had fallen and escaped major injury. I admire her for her amazing courage.

Made me thinkof how at times we're called to push through our fears. My son had to do this a few nights ago where he was called to referee a playoff basketball game. It was held at a large college gym, a huge crowd and television cameras all around. He told me, "Dad, I could barely breathe the first half I was so nervous. But I made it through that half and then calmed down and did fine in the second half." I was so proud of him.

I just spoke to a farely large crowd this morning -- not nearly as scary as a downhill ski run. But still, like with many people, public speaking makes me nervous. Now I need to do it again in a few minutes. Feeling that God called me to do this and asking for His strength, I felt Him empower me as I pushed through that fear. And hopefully blessed the listeners...and brought glory to the Lord.

What fears have you been having to push through lately?

Jim

1 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

The fear of fear...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home