Monday, February 06, 2006

Telling the truth

Susan and I heard a man speak this past Saturday night. He said something that I've been pondering ever since. He brought up the story from the book of Exodus of how the LORD wanted to deliver His people from the bondage of Egyptian slavery so that they could go to the desert and worship Him.

Here was his application -- we cannot truly worship the living God if we are in bondage to something. I went away from that gathering asking the Lord, "What am I in bondage to?" "Whatever it is, Lord, please set me free from it!"

Before going to bed that night I read some more from Joyce Meyer's Approval Addiction. And then Sunday morning I heard Jerry Taylor speak from Jesus' words about how we're to let our "Yes be yes and our No be no." He talked about speaking the truth to others and being people of integrity, even if it offends others. Even if people don't like us, speak the truth anyway. And let your life match what you say.

Later that afternoon while Susan and I were talking about Jerry's message, she said, "Maybe this is the bondage the Lord wants to free you from." I think she was right.

I want to be a person of integrity. I long to be a person who speaks the truth in love. I pray that the Lord will change me into a man whose walk matches his words. And that I won't worry so much about what people will say or think of me when I speak the truth of Jesus Christ in love, and live out that truth each day.

Taped to my computer monitor is a passage that reminds me to be a God-pleaser:

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." -- Gal. 1:10

Paul wrote these words in the context of a letter to the churches where he urged them to resist those who wanted to bind legalism on believers. He called them to stand boldly for the gospel, making it so clear that we're saved by grace through faith.

I'm reminded of a recent incident where a Christian brother I know stood up to his employer and told him he could not, and would not, do some things he was told to do that were obviously unethical. My friend lost his job by taking this stand as a disciple of Christ -- but he maintained his integrity! Hallelujah!

What challenges do you face in being a people-pleaser, rather than a God-pleaser? How do you lovingly draw boundaries and let people know what you believe and how you feel -- even if it may make them mad at you or be otherwise costly to you?

May the Lord Jesus empower us to be men and women of integrity, not afraid to tell others the truth. And then as He frees us from this bondage of the approval addiction, may we worship Him.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

Wow.....how thought provoking! We truly do need to be men and women of honor and integrity. Without integrity...."this little light of mine" will not shine!
Cindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home