Friday, February 10, 2006

Eternity minded

Woke up at 4 A.M. this morning and couldn't sleep. I was wrestling with how we can reach those precious neighbors that come to our Wednesday night Oasis meals. The Lord gave me an opportunity to speak to them about the gospel. But my message was too short, I felt. Some of them kept talking and eating, probably not paying attention. It bothered me that we're not making that more of an evangelistic event. And I know that others who have been hosting that meal are struggling with how to reach these people. I told the elders one night that I feel strongly that we need to do some proclamation of the gospel during or after that meal. Please join me in asking the Lord how we can more boldly and creatively share the message of Jesus Christ with these guests that come for the meal each Wednesday night.

What got me to thinking of this, and maybe why I woke up, was two brief messages I heard early last night. One was a CD that I ordered called "The Life God Blesses" by Bruce Wilkinson (of The Prayer of Jabez fame). He has done extensive research on what Jesus says about His promises to His followers. Wilkinson said that our destination for eternity depends on what we believe. And yet our experience of heaven and how much we'll be rewarded will depend on how we behave. Though we're saved by grace, not by our works, the way we respond to God's grace through our obedience has a profound impact on our eternal rewards. I'll tell you more about what Wilkinson says as I keep hearing the CD. He got me to thinking about what really matters, and to seek not comfort in this world but rather ways to honor Jesus in how we treat others.

The second message I heard was an interview on Dobson of Chuck Colson (one of my heroes) who recently wrote a book entitled The Good Life. Chuck recounted how in the early 1970's he was in such an influential and prestigious position as an assistant to the president. It didn't give him true meaning and fulfillment, however. When he ended up going to prison because of his involvement in Watergate, that's when Colson realized his sinfulness and great need for a Savior. After his conversion, Colson went on to be one of the most influential Christian writers, speakers and change agent for prisoners. Looking back on his 30 years of knowing and living for Christ, Colson told his good friend Dobson that he truly has been living "the good life." It's a life not found in comfort and pleasures and power. But in service to others, keeping eternity in mind, and doing everything for the sake of the Lord Jesus.

At 5:30 this morning, when I still couldn't sleep, it seemed that the Lord impressed on my mind that He has given me and the others working at the Christian Service Center a wonderful opportunity each day to make an eternal difference in the lives of those who come through our doors. Many of them are broken -- having been abused by boyfriends, sabotaging their own lives with alcohol, suffering disabilities, or struggling to get by on minimum wage jobs. I want us to show Jesus to them. To help them see that no matter how bad life has become for them, they can have an eternal life with Jesus.

Please pray for us that we'll see each person as made in the image of God, a person for whom Christ died...an eternal soul that will live forever either with God or separated from Him. May we all see those who cross our paths the way Jesus sees them. And may we truly live a life that God blesses...and experience the good life Jesus promises to those who trust in Him and follow in His path.

Jim

6 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you guys have something going at CSC that can certainly be applied to Oasis. Relationships.

Those who come through CSC, and especially those who come through your doors more than once, you have opportunity to build valuable realtionships, showing that you love them just where they are at in life. The agape kind of love that Jesus is consistently showing us.

The longer I am at PUMP, the more my teachers here and my own experience affirms that relationships are key to spreading the gospel and making disciples.

Men and women willing to get deep into conversation at the dinner table and follow it up by having coffee, diner, inviting these people to their homes--building relationship--will have the most lasting affect of preaching the gospel message to these individuals. Showing this is more than a hot meal, it says "I want to know you. You are important to me."

Keep up the good you do for the Kingdom!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Jim,
Thanks for sharing your heart and vision. There are so many components one could comment on. As I think about those who ate and did not listen to your words, I think of Jesus, who fed the masses and struggled with the same problem--the people wanted food and signs, but not Him.
Yet, that did not stop Jesus' ministry then, and I don't think He would have it stop now as it happens in His name.

I pray that God would show you HOW to do this...giving you and your volunteers words and the courage to speak them, so that those who will listen will have truth to take home with them as well.

I pray that God will also provide a vision for Wednesday Oasis, that the most could be made of that opportunity and that both Jesus' love and the truth about Him could be shared.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Again, Jim, your loving sherherd's heart is crying out for the lost. What a blessing you are.

When one has such a love and concern for the lost, it's sometimes difficult for us to remember what Paul wrote to the Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 3:5-7 (New International Version)

5...the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.


So we keep planting and watering, knowing that it's God's power in the Gospel that will bring the harvest, will make things grow.

That's not to say that our planting and watering processes can't be tweaked now and then, but I take great comfort in knowing that God will bring His harvest in spite of, or maybe because of our human frailties.

I'm sure others have seen examples of God bringing the harvest these past months - for instance, I've observed two men that came at first just for the hot meal and are now not only attending the services, but are also volunteering to help with the meal preparations/serving/clean up. It's thanks to loving hearts such as yours, Jim, that men such as these two are seeing Jesus living in their lives and are responding to Him.

I'd be honored to join you in asking the LORD how we can share the message of Jesus with these guests.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Jim - I agree with Kathy. I love the way you share your heart. And your zeal and compassion for the lost is something I deeply desire. I know that God will use everything we do to reach those we hurt for. His ways are not our ways. Your obedience in these situations will bring about a great harvest. You just may not get to see it until you're really Home.

Geoff had a great idea for Wednesday night. He said to simply pray over them. Tell them to go ahead and eat and that you're going to pray over them. Or you could read scripture or blessings over them and just let it be God that speaks. The power of the spoken word will be felt by someone in the room. His word does not go out void.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Agent B said...

Maybe preaching isn't necessary at the Oasis meals. At least, not at this point.

If you sit and eat meals with neighbors consistantly (6mo? 12mo?) then I'd bet they'd develop a trust in you to preach to them. They'd love to hear what you say then.

Just a thought.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Candy said...

not a bad point Agent B. Or we could strategically place prayer warriors around the room and call them "watchmen". They could intercede for people as they eat. I like that idea. It's amazing what can come of clandestine prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home