Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Washed with Water and the Word

It takes patience to work through a reading of all the details in Exodus that describes the making of the Tabernacle. And it may seem at first quite irrelevant to the Christian. After all, when Jesus died on that cross the curtain in the temple was torn in two. Through our crucified and resurrected Savior we can now by faith enter into the presence of the holiness of God. That still blows my mind.

Yet I find the symbolism of this Tabernacle quite relevant to us as believers. This morning I found it fascinating that the LORD instructed Moses to have the people "place the basin between the Tent of Meeting and the altar and put water in it. " Then He said, "Bring Aaron and his sons to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and wash them with water."

The symbol of baptism came to mind as I read this passage. What a beautiful sacrament of our initiation into Christ --being cleansed by the water, which represents the cleansing we need by the blood of Christ in order to come to God.

This fellowship I've been in for 28 + years has put a great emphasis on water baptism. At times too much emphasis, I feel, in which we overlooked the power of the cross and the truth that coming to Jesus is all about His grace and mercy and love -- and that we're saved by grace through faith. People have accused us of being like the Galatians -- adding our obedience to faith. Some say we've taught baptismal regeneration(a teaching which I firmly reject). And I think these critics have made some good points. Thank the Lord, we have changed in many ways (at least in the circles I've been blessed to be a part of the past 20 years or so).

While I want to stay open to these correctives -- and emphasize salvation in Christ alone, by grace alone, through faith alone -- I still want to hold on to the beauty of baptism. And to encourage every person who has turned to Christ to follow their Lord in baptism -- and not put it off. The converts in the book of Acts did it right away.

I love the words of the great Baptist scholar, G.R. Beasley-Murray:

"in his (the apostle Paul's) teaching, faith in God manifested in Christ is prior to baptism, and faith receives the gift of God in baptism, and faith in God is the constitutive principle of the Christ life after baptism. ...It is desirable to avoid the term 'necessary' when considering the meaning of baptism, since the word has given rise to so much misunderstanding. ..Is it not better to recognize positively that God has graciously given us sacraments for our good and that it is our part to receive them gratefully?"

How do you strike this balance when talking to others about baptism, whether they're new believers or have not yet accepted Christ?

Jim

5 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

It's amazing what happens when we leave that up to the Holy Spirit. My heart was so convicted about this when I was in China. I was going to be studying a book of the Bible that speaks quite a lot about baptism with two young ladies
when I returned from a holiday. While I was away for the holiday one of the young ladies read the book to prepare for our study. When we came together for the first day of our study, this young lady comments:"Cindy, I read this book to prepare for our study and it talks alot about baptism and I feel like I need to get baptized; what do you think?" Needless to say, I learned WHO the true teacher is!!!!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I have a baptism story of my own that would take too long to tell here, but suffice it to say, I believe there is something very special about being baptized. I don't however think my salvation hinges upon it. I do think we put too much emphasis on it with our children. I think the very most important thing our kids need to know is how much God loves them - so much so that He sent His son to die for them. Not only that but we need to make sure we don't leave him in the tomb. HE LIVES! And they need to know that the power of God that resurrected Jesus from the grave after 3 days is still at work in our world today. We need to show them how to live victorious lives free of anxiety over theological issues beyond inviting Jesus to be their Lord and Saviour. They need to know who they become when they receive His Presence in their lives. They need to know how to love and serve and move in the power of grace. But when they do decide to be baptized it is a joyous occasion for celebration because they then have chosen to plant a stake publicly at the foot of the cross, a stake they can go back to and be reminded of who they serve. ok, maybe I should have just told the story. This was longer than I expected it to be. haha

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I want to hear the long story Candy.
Baptism is a holy, joyous, humbling, sacrificial and crowning moment.
Candy is right..if we leave Him in the tomb we stay under the water..praise God He arose and so do we out of the watery grave.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Excellent comments and stories, fellow Bloggers. Candy, I'd like you to consider writing your story and letting me put it in a tri-fold booklet to give out to our neighbors who come here for food, clothing, etc. I want them hear testimonies about the power of Jesus Christ to change our lives! What-da-ya-think, my Inkling friend?

Jim

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

22 years experience in Mexico City brings me into agreement with Cindy. The Holy Spirit shows us who's the teacher - He brings the question about baptism to the surface when we follow the pattern given in what we call "the Great Commission:"

Matthew28:19-20

19Therefore go and

make disciples of all nations

baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you

And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age

When we make disciples for Jesus, there will be such a hunger and love for Him, the question of baptism surfaces naturally [supernaturally??] in God's time. We then spend time with the babe believer, teaching them all the wonderous things Candy speaks of, based in the promise that Jesus is with us every single moment until He returns for us.

Baptism makes NO sense if we start there, teaching obedience of Jesus' teachings makes NO sense if we start there, but when we start with the Good News, all flows toward salvation in Him. Baptism then takes its place as one of the key elements in that journey toward the Cross and salvation in Jesus, much like a cork floating on water, neither one more important than the other, neither one putting pressure on the other...just all the pieces coming together in joyful belief and acceptance. Whoppeee!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home