Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Learner to the End

Bill Hybels, the pastor of the largest church in America, is a visionary big time. His church has spun off and inspired church plantings all over this nation and most of the world. Thousands of church leaders have flocked to South Barrington, Chicago for many years, seeking a fresh vision for their church -- or to start another one - from the Willow Creek church that Hybels founded.

I love reading his books and often recall certain quotes. One I'm thinking about tonight is this: "If you want a fresh vision from God for your ministry, go see where He is working somewhere else." That is, visit other ministries. That's what I'm doing tomorrow.

Steve Holt, our intern this semester at the Christian Service Center, has been telling me about Central Dallas Ministries, with Larry James at the helm. He set up a visit there in Dallas tomorrow. I've been reading archives of his blog on and off all day, preparing for our meeting tomorrow. (see www.larryjamesurbandaily.blogspot.com).

Talk about a visionary in reaching out to the poor. His ministry has exploded in growth in the 10 years Larry has been leading this work. Reading in his blog about all the different ministries to the poor that were started by Central Dallas Ministries (CDM) made my head spin. I'm not sure how I'll apply what I learn there to what we do here in Abilene. However, as Steve and I prayed today about this, I'm asking the Lord to give me a fresh vision for ministering to the poor in Jesus' Name within my sphere of influence in this small West Texas city. I want to see where God is working in other places...and then seek His vision for my work here.

I don't want to become stale. To carry out business as usual. Although it's comfortable and easier to just keep the Service Center running along the way it is, if I'm going to follow the living Christ, I must be open to His leadership as I lead our staff and volunteers in preaching the gospel to the poor...in word and deed.

Please pray for us as we travel to Dallas and back tomorrow. I want that vision from God. And then the courage and trust in Him to carry it out. For you see, as a disciple of Jesus, I think it's imperative (and a great privilege) to be a learner to the end.

Jim

5 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

I will pray for your safety. I have been reading his blog lately.

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Larry's a busy and inspiring guy. He is both those things because of his passion for the underdog and Jesus.

I loved going to CDM when I lived in Dallas. It was a great place to get outside of my box and into reality. A place to see Jesus in the face of those people who come for help and to help.

If you see Larry or Linda Matthews, please give them my love.

I know you will be blessed ... have a great trip!

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Jim:

I know that God will show his will to you today in Dallas. Listen intently for the still small voice of the Holy Spirit. There are so many things that I love about you, but your desire to lovingly and humbly imitate the way of Jesus to the marginalized poor in Abilene and everywhere you go, is a trait that I yearn to emulate in my own faith walk. I am thankful to be shepherded and loved by such a tender, passionate, and authentic follower of the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Blessings to you today:)

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Blessings and safe trip, Jim, is my prayer for you. May God's next step for you and CSC's service and mentoring to the needy of Abilene become a clear reality emanating from this trip.

Just know you are so appreciated and prayed for by so many of us that have the privelege and blessing of knowing you and being shepherded by you!

Looking forward to your return postings.

In the Light of God's love, grace and mercy

K

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, dear bloggers, for your prayers and encouragement.

Peace of the Lord to you,

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home