Monday, March 20, 2006

Taking off the mask

I read Candy Gilbert's excellent response to my post about avoiding the middleman -- that is, not allowing anything or anyone get between us and Christ. Here's what she wrote:

"The truth will set you free too! My "middleman" was the mask i was prone to wearing. In an effort to not let anyone know who I really was I had to wear a mask of, well, religion. When I say "anyone" I mean God too. I thought if I acted like I was okay, like I "got it", I could fool him too. Boy was I wrong. That mask did nothing but put a barrier between myself and God and myself and everyone I met and knew and loved. Relationships were not nearly as strong and meaningful as they are now that the mask is coming off in big chunks. And God did all this. He loved me so much He wouldn't leave me there. Thank God. -- Candy"

Her response reminded me of what Clint Logue said last night at our small group. He toyed with the idea of asking all of us to come to his house for small group wearing a mask. And then would ask us to take them off as symbolic of how we're starting to be more real with each other. I love that imagery! By God's grace, we' are getting more real with one another in our Sunday night community. And what a thrill it is to see what the Lord is doing amongst us as we take off our masks.

I saw this mask removal process happening in other parts of the gathering of the saints at Highland yesterday. Paul and Lenda Jensen launched a new class based on Dave Ramsey's excellent DVD series on Financial Freedom. The room was packed. Through our presence we were admitting we all needed help in debt reduction and managing God's money. One man stood up and gave a very honest testimony about how and he his wife fought over money for years. (I was relieved to hear that Susan and I aren't the only ones who have fought over money). Then they finally let the Lord step in and take over. They had a four hour meeting with their teenage girls about the financial changes they were going to make. They started giving back to God what was His. Got rid of stuff they didn't need. Paid off credit card bills. And now all they have to pay off is their mortgage. His gut level honest story brought glory to God and encouraged us all to do the same. I went home and told Susan that I think we need to pre-pay more on our mortgage and get out of debt sooner.

Another touching moment of honesty was after Jerry Taylor's riveting sermon based on Jesus' words about not worrying. Val Durrington, our worship leader, stood up and confessed his sin of worry. And he took his time letting us know how huge of a battle this was in his life. Then he invited us to come forward to the tables up front, stacked with index cards and pens -- awaiting us to write down our worries and give them to God. It was so encouraging to see all the people, in essence, take off their masks and go forward to admit their struggle with worry.

Have you found that honesty begets honesty? So have I. And the more open we are with one another in Christian community, especially in a safe place like a healthy small group, the more the Holy Spirit seems to be released to do His work in our lives.

As much as I want to look strong to others and be liked and admired by others, I know that I must resist that sinful tendency. Following Jesus means taking off the mask. Being real. And experiencing deep community with other Christ-followers. I pray that the Lord will make me more transparent with others -- so that we can both see that we're not alone in our struggles. And that our ultimate strength is not in each other, but in Jesus.

Still trying to take off the mask,

Jim

3 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I think maybe the Lone Ranger was Lone, because he wore a mask..

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Beverly:

Where did you come up with that? What a great insight!

Jim

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Jim...I made it up....maybe I should write that one down..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home