Thursday, March 23, 2006

Conflicts and Confrontations

The last couple weeks I've been bothered by what I've seen are some inequities. Some injustices. This morning I couldn't sleep past 5:15 because I was wrestling with what I think may be a great injustice. It seems it's time I deal with this.

But before I do, it would be wise to hold off and do a few other things first. Whenever I've been upset with someone in the past and jumped in and confronted them about it without first thinking or praying, it usually has backfired. I remember a time years ago in another state where some people told me I needed to confront a person in our church. I did... and it resulted in a very painful rift between me and that person -- that really wasn't resolved until years afterward.

So before I confront a brother or sister in Christ about something they did or are doing that I think is wrong, I believe the Lord wants me to do these things first:

1. Pray (the obvious, of course). Pray over my motives. Ask God to give me a spirit of love and to deliver me from a judgmental, angry spirit. Seek discernment over whether I need to let this go and or go forward and deal with it. "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." -- Prov. 19:11

This morning I read a passage in Deuteronomy 1 that really spoke to me about this area of confrontation.

After the spies went into the land and came back with a bad report, the Israelites complained to the Lord about bringing them out of Egypt. Then Moses tells them:

"Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes..." -- Deut. 1:29b-30

The other sad part of this story is when they decided to go up and fight the giants in the land -- by their own power, by their own initiative!:

"We have sinned against the LORD. We will go up and fight, as the LORD our God commanded us." So every one of you put on his weapons, thinking it easy to go up into the hill country. But the LORD said to me, "Tell them, 'Do not go up and fight, because I will not be with you. You will be defeated by your enemies.'" -- Deut. 1:41-42

Before I go talk to someone about a concern I have about them or our relationship, I need to first spend some time in prayer and ask God to fight my battle. Otherwise, I'm on my own -- relying on the flesh (which always gets me in trouble) rather than relying on the Holy Spirit to fight this battle.

2. Examine myself. Jesus says, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?...first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." -- Matt. 7:3 and 5

It's so easy to see someone else's blind spots, but not my own. Early this morning when I was thinking of what I felt was an inconsistencies in the lives of others, it seemed that the Lord convicted me that I am guilty at times of the same thing. So, before I get so "holier than thou," I need to humble myself before the Lord and examine my own flaws -- and realize that if I go talk to someone about what I see is the error of their ways, I go as a man who has his own errors, flaws and sins. "The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways..." -- Prov. 14:8

3. Talk to a trusted friend. It's so helpful to process with a wise person whom you can trust to keep a confidence and let you talk through your frustration and anger. He or she may know more of the facts about the situation than I do. They may help me see the issue more clearly, which may be clouded in my mind because of my anger or self-centeredness. There's a a passage in Proverbs that says that in many counselors there is wisdom. (I can't find the verse).

And this morning the story of David, Abigail and Nabal came to mind. David was about to exact revenge on Nabal. But Abigail intervened and stopped him from doing this rash act. Eventually, the Lord fought David's battle and took care of Nabal. "Vengeance is mine, says the Lord." (Rom. 12).

I'm going to try practicing these three things before I go talk to those with whom I have problems and differences. Though my flesh wants me to take control and get it done, I know from experience and God's word that it's always best to be led by the Spirit. And to let the Lord fight my battles...and not me.

Still learning,

Jim

6 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Clint said...

true

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Oh Jim..this is an area where I am learning too. It seems the times that I just confronted without taking a bit of time, were disastrous and when I look back, at those times, it was about me not the problem.
You know, Jesus was so bold to speak so freely but He knew when to be quiet. I mean, really, He certainly could have said something more to Pilate or Herod. I wanted to say, Jesus, man, tell them, zap them or something. In education, I am learning the strategy of a 10 second pause, after presenting a question to your class. It gives them a time to think. I need to employ this strategy in all areas of my life..

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Deb said...

I always thought the older we get, the wiser, and therefore, the easier any kind of confrontation would be. Both what you are teaching and what Beverly is saying are so practical, and the sensible methods to subscribe to. HowEVer, my middle name is Lucy Ricardo (I know, that's two), and practical does not always win out over patience. I will say that at this decade of my life, it is easier to stay out of the straight jacket long enough to have a good sleep before deciding to take action, or plan how to man my battle stations.

Why couldn't God have given me a phlegmatic personality on the day?!?

Thanks for your patience, Jim, and sharing those rich Biblical models.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Very good advice, Jim. I would add journalling, I guess as part of the examining yourself process. Sometimes if something is bugging you that much it helps to put it into perspective if you get it out on paper. Noone has to see it but you and God. But how long does it take to do all that stuff? I can just hear my trusted advisor asking me "so how long will you need to pray and examine yourself and talk it over?" Then it's time to make a decision - to confront or not to confront? In case you couldn't tell, I've been known to procrastinate.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Jim-
Please know that I will be praying for you and myself as well as God continues to teach and mold our spirits in issues such as this one. Knowing when and how to lovingly confront someone is so difficult. Living through and by the Spirit is the only thing we can do! May your words bring life and edificaiton, my sweet friend.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

The 10 second pause...sleeping on it..and journaling. Great ideas! What does James say, "Be slow to speak..."

I'm reminded of what author Steve Farrar's wife once wrote: before she confronts her husband about some big issue that bothers her, she takes a couple days to pray over it. If she is stil bothered by it, she senses that as a cue from the Holy Spirit to say something.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home